Logo

Omc 43 cobra Clicking noise from top of engine when trying to start

T

Ted Brewer

"I have been trying to get my

"I have been trying to get my 4.3 omc cobra to turn over. It did initially and then I just get a clicking noise from the solinoid(upper, not on starter) area. I have replaced that one already and the starter too. I am at a loss at this point. Please let me know if you have any suggestions"

"Ayuh,.....

Especially the

"Ayuh,.....

Especially the Grounds.......

Also,....
Will the engine Turn Over by Hand,..??..??...

Take the Sparkplugs Out,+ put a Wrench on the Crankshaft,+ make Sure the motor's Not Seized....."

"please excuse me for jumping

"please excuse me for jumping on this post with nothing new to offer. of all the member photos, I like Bondo's best. very good."

"Bondo,

Maybe you could pos

"Bondo,

Maybe you could post a bigger version of that here...
biggrin.gif
"

"Ted
If the battery and cable

"Ted
If the battery and cables, starter are good, is the boat in the water, if yes you may have hydro-locked the motor, that is to say water(which can not be compressed) is holding the engine. Keeping from rolling over. Pull the plugs and check to see if you start pumping out water. Also check all of the above posts. Also water can enter the engine even if its not in the water sitting as of now."

"I have started checking the c

"I have started checking the connections today and so far I have not found any loose or damaged. The starter is not engaging or trying to turn the engine over.I did put the engine in gear and rotated the prop. It turned the crank, so I dont think its seized.I just get that clicking noise from the solenoid and no attempt from the starter to crank the engine.Hope this information helps a little more."

Sounds like a bad solenoid. Di

Sounds like a bad solenoid. Did you try jumping the starter directly? That would prove it's not the starter itself.

Jeff

"[b]"I have started checki

""I have started checking the connections today and so far I have not found any loose or damaged."

They're Not going to "Look" damaged or Loose,......

All of the Wiring Connections, Including the Grounds, need to be Removed, Cleaned Shiney Clean,+ Reinstalled.....
After you've gotten That Done,......
If the Starter doesn't turn over,.... I'd Pull the Starter,+ Bench Test It.......
Btw,.... The Battery IS up to the proper Voltage,..??..??.. Right,.??

"Bondo,

Maybe you could post a bigger version of that here... "

Gladly,.....
But, I'll post it down in the Off Topic forum, rather than Hy-jacking Ted's Thread........"

I will work on the wiring and

I will work on the wiring and see where we go from there. Battery is fully charged and starter and solenoid are new.Check back soon.

Thanks to all. I found the pro

Thanks to all. I found the problem. It was all my fault. I had two wires on the new starter backwards. I switched them and the engine started on the second try.

Back