Logo

Any ideas

T

tomj

i have a 40hp mercury 1973 di

i have a 40hp mercury 1973 dinasour on a 1988 solidcraft utility boat. its a 16 ft. aluminum. the cavitation plate is even with the bottom of transom. here is the problem. no matter where the motor is tilted or trimmed under speed it throws water back in the boat. what is going on here? the boat planes out easily no matter where the motor is adjusted. everything seems right. i am considering a jack plate but dont know if i need one. i have never tried running the boat with more weight to the front. maybe that woud help. any help would be much appreciated.

Can anyone tell me the spark

Can anyone tell me the spark plug gap for 1997 6 hp mercury 2-stroke? This engine will not idle and is sluggish on acceleration. I went through the carb and everything seems ok. I checked the compression is 90 psi on both cyl with 4 pulls of the crankrope. I am thinking it is electronics. Any help on how to test electronics would be appreciated. Also I have a 4hp four stroke mercury that needs a new water pump impeller. Can anyone tell me how to drop the foot? I removed 2 bolts and shift linkeage but shaft is still hung up on something. Does the shaft seperate from powerhead at spline or is there anything holding the shaft at the powerhead? I have shop manuals on order for both engines. Any help would be appreciated.
Jude B. Performance Marine

" Sorry tomj I posted my messa

" Sorry tomj I posted my message at 852 am in the wrong place. But concerning your problem, I would check the bottom of your boat for any obstructions in the back. Make sure there is nothing on the hull that would create a spray of water when you are on step. Also check position of fin(sacrificial anode)on the bottom side of the cavitation plate. It should be close to center or a little offset to compensate for the way the motor pulls when running(steering pull).
A Jack plate will allow you to raise your motor up some(transom height not trim). You could try raising or lowering transom height on existing setup to remedy problem. Maybe half inch at a time(trial an error). Basic formula for jack plate is go up on transom height 3 inches for every 12 inches of setback. example is 6 inch setback go up one and a half inches on transom height more or less(trial and error). Hope this helps you.

Regards, Jude B. Performance Marine "

" Hi Tom,
I've found th

" Hi Tom,
I've found that if placed in the wrong spot, the cavitation plate on some Mercs will throw that water up under the clamps. Try going up or down a little with the motor...
- Scott "

" scott, that is exactly what

" scott, that is exactly what is happening. i will try changing height a little and see what happens. this motor has just been clamped on temporarily any way. if i can get this problem straightened out i will drill my transom and permanent mount. thanks guys. "

" scott, it took one inch of

" scott, it took one inch of height to completely cure my problem. i took it to the lake today and the performance was greatly improved and the water splash back was eliminated. the handling was vastly improved too. one inch done the trick. oh yes i drilled and bolted the motor to the transom in the center of my slots in case i need to re-adjust later. "

I have a dijon 14 with a 30hp

I have a dijon 14 with a 30hp mariner. Can anyone tell me at what height should the engine be mounted at.

To Tom J - am wrestling with

To Tom J - am wrestling with a similar transon height issue - did you solve your problem by rasiing or lowering the engine by one inch

wayne

Back