Logo

Merc 470 no fire to spark plugs

sfreeman

I have basically no experienc

I have basically no experience witrh in boards. I am 57 and other than high school back yard..no engine stuff training.. I have strong battery. motor turns what I think is slow with starter..and no spark to the plugs...what do I check next. Boat also not run in a year. I bought it from an estate.
Thanks for any help.

"Make sure you have water plum

"Make sure you have water plumbed to the drive when you crank it. Use "ear muffs".

Make sure motor has oil.

Clean and tighten down batt wires and connections. Put a charger on the battery to assure good crank amps. Sometimes you won’t get adequate spark when crank speed/voltage drop is low...

Then check spark at the plugs and ignition coil with engine cranking. Report back.

If you do have spark... use a dash or two of carb cleaner down the carburetor to prime before cranking. That should bring it to life at least temporarily.

If you have no training on this stuff, consider "paying the man" to resolve. Not worth saving a few bucks and getting hurt or breaking things."

"that engine has points. just

"that engine has points. just like Your old mid 60s car. check them, and power to coil."

"HI GUYS
Thanks for previous

"HI GUYS
Thanks for previous information...I have now determined that although I have enough battery, It is suspicioned that the FUNKY STATOR, lawn mower type charging system, is dragging on the front end of the engine, and the motor will not turn over except just very very slow. This slow speed is killing the spark to the coil. Can this be lubed, or is this engine..to become scrap metal...The out drive was rebuilt befor I bought the boat...Ineed to sell the boat as is....21 ft Dixie.with tandem axel trailer..boat is good shape.
Thanks for any more help.
Stephen"

"That stator causes a lot of p

"That stator causes a lot of problems, remove the harmonic balancer and the stator and the water cooled voltage regulator, then replaced with a marine type alternator. A new bracket and alternator can be obtained on e-bay for less than 200$. Check other post relating to this change."

Back