Logo

Top end RPMbs

bullet_bob

"I have a 1995 Trojan 350 Expr

"I have a 1995 Trojan 350 Express with twin Crusader 7.4, 350hp engines. The engines have about 500 hours on them. They are well maintained and regularly tuned. I've noticed overt the last two seasons that my top end RPM has slipped from 4400 to 4000. I guess it's due to age.

Is there any advantage in having the props re-pitched to re-gain more RPM's?. Is there any down side to re-pitching?"

Bob
If this vessel sits in th

Bob
If this vessel sits in the water year round it could be taking water into the fiberglass and making the vessel heavy. I have heard that you can take 2000- 3000 pounds of water weight into a vessel that doesn't get hauled every other year.

The boat is well maintained. H

The boat is well maintained. Haul out and bottom paint every two years. I've not seen any indications that the hull is absorbing water.

"[b] "I've noticed ove

" "I've noticed overt the last two seasons that my top end RPM has slipped from 4400 to 4000. I guess it's due to age."
"Haul out and bottom paint every two years."

The way I read it,......

You're Probably Dragging a Bunch of Bottom Growth,.....
That Alone will Easily drag off 400rpms.......

Start with a Fresh Bottom,........
If you Need to,... Then have the Props flattened abit......."

"Being that My boat is kept in

"Being that My boat is kept in salt water, I have a monthly diver service that cleans the bottom. I don't think there is anything fouling the bottom."

"Have you possibly tried Testi

"Have you possibly tried Testing your WOT, on the Day the diver's completed their work,
Vs. Latter in the month,..??....

Has the boat gained Weight with added toys, tools, trickets, etc..??....

500hrs is Not alot for a BBC,.... I regularly see them with 2000+hrs......
A Compression,+ Leak-down Tests will give you a General Idea of their Health....."

Back