Logo

New guy looking at 77 Chrysler boat

H

Harold Line

" Hi all
I'm a new guy to

" Hi all
I'm a new guy to boating. I am currently looking at a 1977 Chrysler 18' boat with 340 V8 and Chrysler 300 drive and about 780 hours total time. Wondering if anyone out there has any experience with these boats as far as what to look for, things that break, can I still get parts, anything else to be carefull of when buying a used boat like this. He is asking $3900 CDN. Is that a fair price? I know it is hard to say without seeing the boat but I can't find anything similar to compare it to. Thanks for any help and suggestions.
Harold "

" I don? have experience with

" I don? have experience with that boat, but I have a 1978 Glastron GT150 with an 85-hp Merc outboard I bought new. Boats of that era were notorious for rotting floors and transom. Even though my boat was well maintained it succumbed to rotting. What you need to look for are stress cracks especially around the transom, which would indicate structural weakening. Also check the floor to see if it is soft or if the owner added a new layer of flooring over the old one. 700 hours is a lot of hours so you can assume the engine may need some work. I probably would not offer over $2000 even if the boat looks good.

Good Luck! "

Back