Logo

NewbieHelp with which engine is which

jwfoster4

"I am new to the power boat wo

"I am new to the power boat world and am shopping for a used cruiser 26-28' (former sailor)

I am getting really confused on engines. Does anyone know of a resource guide somewhere online that can help differentiate between all the year models, sizes, letters, and horsepowers.

I did learn that MPI stands for multi port injection, so that's a start.

Any help would be appreciated."

"A boat that size needs a 350

"A boat that size needs a 350 cube V-8 (or it will be a gas hog and real dog). There's a whole bunch of motors that size out there and, believe it or not, virtually ALL of them are Chevy based. Kinda simplifies things, right?

Horsepower ratings will vary from 260 to 315 or so, but since you want a cruiser, it doesn't matter: mid-range torque is what drags the boat along, and all 350s have roughly the same torque. (The best of the 350 Chevies is the Vortec design. I had a 315 hp replacement Vortec in my old Bayliner and it performed about the same as old 260 hp engine.)

Next comes the outdrive. Look for a Volvo-Penta or a Mercruiser, and FORGET about any other kind. And stay away from inboards in this size since they'll most likely be a single engine--hell to manuever (unless you have years of dock-banging experience).

THat's start! Be sure to get a survey if you can.

Jeff"

"That boat survey, if done pro

"That boat survey, if done properly, is a MUST-HAVE for a first time boat owner! It can be a little spendy ($15-20 per foot of boat), but it's money well spent. Make sure it includes a sea trial too. Most brokers have a list of guys they recommend to their potential buyers."

"Thanks for the responses, I a

"Thanks for the responses, I am going to stick with a 5.7 or above. What I most need help with though is when I find a boat, and look at the engine, I need to know what the letters mean. How do I find out what the HP of the engine is? I know that not all 5.7's have the same HP, nor do all the 7.4's. I know that the DP stands for dual prop. Some 5.7's even approach the HP of the 7.4s??

eg. difference in Volvos GI, GXI, GSI, etc
and Mercs Mag, EFI, MPI etc."

""eg. difference in Volvos

""eg. difference in Volvos GI, GXI, GSI, etc
and Mercs Mag, EFI, MPI etc."

Go to Volvo's,+ Mercruiser's websites to find this......"

"James: "How do I find ou

"James: "How do I find out what the HP of the engine is?" Look on the valve cover for the mfgr's engine ID tag. It lists the serial no., HP, etc.

No HP listed? Go to www.mercruiser.com and search on the engine serial number for complete info. about the engine.
Guy

P.S. Pay an experienced professional boat technician of your choice with both engine and hull knowledge to inspect the engine and O/D along with the hull's structural integrity before you buy. Demand a written inspection report. Money well spent."

FastJeff and Troy: pardon my

FastJeff and Troy: pardon my duplication of your previously posted advice...half-asleep here.

Guy

"the duoprop, or bravo three i

"the duoprop, or bravo three is good for handling, cruising efficiancy in a single screw boat of the size You are seeking. especially good when docking. eliminates tendency to pull to one side in reverse. the I in the model numbers means injected. in volvos, the G means gasoline. next."

Back