Logo

Volvopenta GI 81 Induction noise

petesim

"Hi, I have a GI 8.1 that make

"Hi, I have a GI 8.1 that makes a Godawful! induction noise/wail between about 2800 - 3000 rpm, which just happens to be right where I cruise at or around 22 knt's. Does anyone know of a cure for this besides earplugs?"

"If it is truly n induction no

"If it is truly n induction noise, you have several possibilities for improvement.

You can remove the throttle body and clean up the edges of the air path. Sometimes the casting is not cleaned up properly and the rough edges cause the air to whistle when passing by.

The flame arrestor may also be contributing to the problem. Make sure it is clean and tight. You may also get some improvement by going to a performance flame arrestor such as a K&N. If you have a buddy with one, try his first. Don't drop down a couple hundred bucks because they tell you you will pick up 20 hp. You won't. If 20 hp was that cheap, it would already be on there.

Engine box insulation is another thing which can usually be improved on. Volvo markets sound deadener material which is easy to install and very effective.

Good luck
Rick"

Back