Logo

Any feedback on a Volvo Penta D130

edenrose

I am repowering a sailboat wit

I am repowering a sailboat with a Volvo Penta 2003
3 cyl 28hp diesel. It has not been a good engine
at all and it finally got cracked in a recent deep freeze. I am looking for a repower option. Nothing has the same mounts. Anyone have luck with the
newer Penta D1-30? I am also looking at Beta Marine (Kubota) and Yanmar in the same sizes.

I have been quite happy with m

I have been quite happy with my Yanmar 3QM30 in my boat (the pic). However it mainly depends on the service in the area where You are using the boat. Sooner or later it would need some maintanance.

"Harley
There are engines tha

"Harley
There are engines that are high on my don't purchase list and Volvo is not usually on that list. Not trying to be mean but a engine dying because of a feeze is not its own fault. AN engine this new and in good repair should have out lived the hull. Maintance is the key to long life. No other engine will fit your currant mounting points. A new Volvo will be under warranty, but must be taken care of. I service five of these engines in other vessels and they have been good to their owners. I would not sell this engine out as being bad."

"I am not blaming the engine f

"I am not blaming the engine for the freeze, but it has been a trouble prone engine for the 17 years I have had it with good maintenance. The Volvo dealers here say the Model 2003 is a four letter word and the twin engine installed at the yard in another boat from the same shipment was also plagued by
starting problems. I was asking about the new VOLVO
D1-30 as a good replacement . I understand that the late 80's was a bad time for these small VOLVO's and that the new Perkins based engine is nice. Any feedback on the new D1-30's?"

Back