Logo

Engine Rpmbs or HP to get more speed

oldboy

I have a SRV200 SEARAY and it

I have a SRV200 SEARAY and it has a inline 6 250 cid engine in it now. I need to replace engine "crack water jacket Block".
I got a Chevy Truck inline 6 230 cid engine.
To rebuild into ether a Marine 230 cid or 250 cid.
My qestion is: A 230 cid engine has a max RPM'S of 4800. A 250 cid has 4600. The diferance in HP is "250 cid has only 15HP more".
So will more RPM'S less HP engine make boat go faster? Or the other way Less RPM'S more HP?
The outdrive is a Mercruiser MR 165 for inline 6 engine.

"And, Make Sure that the Block

"And, Make Sure that the Block you choice has the proper Mounting Holes cast into the Front of it, to accept the Front Motor Mount......."

"Hi Bondo
Yes it is a 1965 or

"Hi Bondo
Yes it is a 1965 original 230 Chevy truck engine. Person I know had it sitting in his heated garage for a long time.
He swap it out for more HP. Said only thing wrong with it is a small leak around oil pan.
Low miles,in very good condition.
I think it only needs new marine gaskets & Marine Cam. But I will tear into it to make sure.
A find like this was hard to come by.
Most are junk. May be thats why they are found in a junk Yard.
Bondo I think it was you that told me to find a Truck engine? It has the cast in treaded nipples for FWD Boat mount. The Nova-car engine did not.
Some one on this form had spent money to do a Marine rebuild on a 250 cid inline 6 engine.
Only to find out it was a car block with no fwd treaded nipples. Should of used a Truck Block.
Best to ask alot of qestions then do your project.
Again thanks for the help."

Back