Logo

Marine Power 57L fuel problem

royakers

"I have a kicker motor hooked

"I have a kicker motor hooked up to the main fuel line from my engine through a fuel/water separator - one line goes to the main engine fuel pump and one line goes to the kicker ( primer bulb). When the main engine runs, it sucks air/fuel? from the kicker line and the primer bulb collapses. I can't run the kicker because it starves for fuel. I blocked off the fuel line to the kicker from the fuel filter manifold (shut off valve) and the main engine runs fine. Hmmm. . . I want to be able to reconnect the kicker to the main fuel line without having to run a separate portable tank but first I need to know what's happening. Could my fuel/water separator manifold be bad? Anyone out there have experience in this area? I would really appreciate some help.

thanks for your time.

Roy"

"There's No Valving in the

"There's No Valving in the Fuel Filter,....
When the main motor is Sucking,.... It pulls a Vacuum on All of the Ports of the Filter,......

You need some Valving Somewhere to make it Work,..."

"Okay, how about if I put an

"Okay, how about if I put an anti-siphon valve in-line between the fuel/water separator and the primer bulb? Do you think that would work?"

Look out! It's possible t

Look out! It's possible that you will lean out the kicker sucking through that restriction and fry a piston. Why not simply add a valve right before the primer bulb and shut it off when not in use? I have a ball valve where the fuel line goes into my OB so I can drain it thoroughly (by running it) after each use.

Jeff

"That is exactly what's at

"That is exactly what's at the other end of the kicker fuel line now - a ball valve on one end of the fuel/water separator manifold. In fact, the other day I capped off the line to the kicker motor and hooked up a separate fuel source for the kicker. When I went to start the main engine, It wouldn't start - like it was starving for fuel. Finally, I opened the engine hatch and I closed the valve to the kicker side and the main engine started right up. So, with the valve closed the main engine runs. With the valve open ( but with the line "capped") the main engine won't start. Here's one more caveat. When I try to run the kicker by itself, with the main fuel line, after a few minutes the primer bulb will collapse. I've checked the portion of the fuel line between the primer bulb and the fuel water separator and there's no restriction and no apparent air leaks. The kicker runs fine when I run it from a separate fuel source, but that's not fixing the problem. I want to be able to run both engines from the main fuel line as in the past. This problem didn't give me any prior notice. It just started happening and it hasn't stopped. Jeff, thanks for the insight on the anti-siphon valve. I hadn't considered that issue.

Thanks everyone for the continued support. I think we're getting close. . ."

Back