Logo

Need help starting a omc engine

cireg24

"OK, I was given a 1976 omc fo

"OK, I was given a 1976 omc ford 302 boat by a family member. Its a project boat and Im excited about doing the work on it. Heres my first piece of business. The engine was rebuilt and taken out about 2 years ago. The boat was then stored and it has sat for about 1 1/2 year. it sat in the rain and sun for that amount of time. I checked the oil and it has water in it, the distributor cap was taken off to be changed and never put back on and the carb was left uncovered. So i think the rain got into the engine vs a cracked manifold or bad engine etc. How Do i go about draining and what should i do before I start cranking engine and check compression and all other good stuff. I dont want to damage pistons etc. Thanks for your help fellows"

"If the engine has been 's

"If the engine has been 'stored' with water in the oil-pan, I would not recommend to even turn it over until the oil pan has been dropped, cleaned and the oil pump and pressure valve has been inspected/tested! If any part of the crank/bearings have been in water, have it checked/replaced."

"I hate to say it, but that mo

"I hate to say it, but that motor is scrap. The cylinder walls will be rusted and pitted all to heck. Nor is it repairable. I had a Caddy V-8 with pits in the walls--and no mosquitos for miles! That thing smaked like you wouldnt believe.

Jeff"

"Ayuh,.... I Agree....

Unt

"Ayuh,.... I Agree....

Until that motor is Totally Disassembled,+ Cleaned up on the Bench......

It's hard to tell if there's Any reusable Parts......"

"Also, I don't know what p

"Also, I don't know what part of the country you live in but it sounds like the engine and stern drive were not winterized and that could lead to more serious problems..."

Back