Logo

When its time to start it back up

dawgs

Regular Contributor
i have an 86 merc 170....its b

i have an 86 merc 170....its been winterized....when its time...what steps do i need to take to "unwinterize" it and get it running again?

"Be damn sure to wait unitl yo

"Be damn sure to wait unitl you are sure it's not going to freeze on you! I know it's hell to wait, but that's the penalty we all pay for living "up north". The photo shows my "winter projects" that I have yet to strp on the dinkboat and run. So, we're all waiting for Spring!

Jeff
61708.jpg
Winter Project

"Man...I LOVE livin' in Fl

"Man...I LOVE livin' in Florida!!! Have a great day all!! Pardon, it's winter...I gotta put my shorts on and go boating this weekend....Cruel aint I? Take care!!"

"We had about 30" of snow

"We had about 30" of snow on Wednesday here in beautiful Vermont!

<center>
snow.gif
</center>"

"must be the other florida. it

"must be the other florida. it was 28 here this A.M. I know its colder up north, but I have no heat in my shop."

"If your boat is winterized co

"If your boat is winterized correctly, a tune up is about all you need to do. New plugs at least.
That is a Mercruiser 470 isn't it? It should have a closed cooling system and all you did was drain the fresh water out of the heat exchanger. The lower unit needs the lube checked but if you are sure this was done on winterizing and there are no leaks you should be OK. Spring is a good time to remove the outdrive and grease the universal joints, put in a new water pump impeller and possibly a new water pump housing if the old one is scored badly. Remove the prop and grease the prop shaft."

Back