Logo

Crusader 454 Compression Issue

B

Brian James

Buying a 1984 40' Silverto

Buying a 1984 40' Silverton - Engine survey shows 24#'s diffenece in compression on port engine and 17 on starboard engine. What is everyones thought on this? Engines do not smoke excessivly and do not have a blue tint. Could the compression issues actually be from the fact that the boat has not been moved over 5 years with the exception of starting at the dock. Could the carbon be built up casueing the compression issues? Will these clear up with some good hard running?

.."Could the compression i

.."Could the compression issues actually be from the fact that the boat has not been moved over 5 years with the exception of starting at the dock."

Hell yes! Just run the darn things. And don't worry about the carbon--it'll blow right out after a goiod run. Marine engines--that are run--don't carbon up like a car setup.

Jeff

"Thanks for the info! Another

"Thanks for the info! Another quesiton: I didn't mention that the port engine compression was 98 to 124 and the stb engine was 87 to 105. The stb engine seems low. Would you expect a good running to increase overall compression to the higher number, increase more then the higher numbers, or avg somewhere inbetween. I ask this qusitons becasue it seems like the one engine may be a bit low in compression."

There is one other thing to co

There is one other thing to consider! Most engines are located in very hard to get places. The ability of the guy holding the compression gage properly while wedged between the carb & distributor and the upper deck needs thought.

I have seen poor readings because the readings were poorly taken. Check out which cylinders are low and the likelyhood that they are almost impossible to get at.

"I'd say Both of those mot

"I'd say Both of those motors are on their Last Legs.........

Those #s are Way Low, besides being Widely Different......"

Back