Logo

Performance difference between yamaha 60 and 90 hp

T

TP6090

I have a 2 yr. old yamaha 60 o

I have a 2 yr. old yamaha 60 on my 690 lb. 17 ft. center console aluminum boat. Trims out 34 mph. I am thinking about buying a yamaha 90 for more top end speed. How much faster do you think it might run. Boat shop say's only about 3 or 4 mph. Does not seem like much to me. Any thought's?

save your money and change pro

save your money and change prop from 17 pitch to 19 pitch will do same thing only will be a little bit slower to get up onto plane

Boat came with a 13 pitch prop

Boat came with a 13 pitch prop. Took that back and swapped out for a 17 pitch. I did pick up about 5 mph. So change to a 19 for even more speed? If I bought a 90 hp along with the 19 pitch I would even pick up a little more speed right?

"TP,

Changing props does no

"TP,

Changing props does not increase the available power of the engine; it changes the performance characteristics. There is no way to get the same power from a 60HP that you would get from a 90HP simply by using a different prop.

Tony"

"After changing to the 17 pitc

"After changing to the 17 pitch prop trimmed out rpm is around 5200. I would be afraid rpm would drop to low with the 19 pitch.
I really wanted to buy the 90 hp engine, however 2 different people at the boat shop said that with my tunnel hull boat there would be very little top end difference.
Trading in my 2004 60hp yamaha for a new 90hp they want around $3800.00 so I really wanted to make sure there would be a noticable difference.I'm not sure I agree with the sales people at this particular shop.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated."

what is the top end rpm rating

what is the top end rpm rating for that engine?when playing with prop size that is the key to me...never run a prop that will exceed that or you will eventually damage the engine...if you are running a prop that gets you max speed with a lower than rated rpm then you probably have got all you are gonna get with that particular engine with that boat..i would rather have some reserve horse power....that gives me 3 things.1..i can run at the speed i wish without running wot all the time...2..better fuel consumption per mile covered..3...a safety margin in rough water if i need the power..i am running a 90 on a 17 foot boat of about the same weight....rated a 5k rpm...i can cruise at 4k or so on 20-25 mile runs with all the speed i need..if i was running a 60hp i would be at wot..the only time i run wot is to make sure the engine is performing as it should..i am not running a tunnel boat tho.

"Thanks everyone for respondin

"Thanks everyone for responding to my questions. I did finally purchase the yamaha 90 for my boat. I am very please with the performance. As the last post mentioned, I dont have to run wot to cruise at a decent speed now. I have a 17 pitch prop and trimmed out runs 5k rpm. Very pleased with my setup now....."

Back