Logo

353 Not running

darrenpayne

"I have a 3-53 non turbo in a

"I have a 3-53 non turbo in a Trencher. I have been trying to get it up and running. The previous owner said that it ran about a year ago ans he has not used it since then. I starterd with the basics. Fuel filter change, oil change, fresh fuel. My question is, how do you bleed the air out of the lines ? There is no fuel pump on the engine that I see, and no injectors that I see. It seems to have a line from the tank, to the filter, over to the injection pump. the engine turns over but nothing happens. I have never worked on a two stroke diesel, so im a bit lost. How do you bleed out the lines on it? Any help any one could give me would be of great help. I know its not a boat engine, but ive been told that the 3-53 was a common marine engine. thanks in advance"

"You should be able to get air

"You should be able to get air out by turning the engine over with the input line loosened at the governor.Depending on the year of engine, there should be a throttle cable and a shutoff cable. These will mount directly on the governor.First make sure the shutoff is in the ON position.This engine also has a supercharger mounted on the side. The emergency shutoff is located here.It has a cable that connects to a spring loaded clip. Once the cable is pulled the clip has to be reset manually.Some people make the common mistake of shutting the engine off with this. It shuts off all air into airbox.Pull up on the cable and push clip into on postion. Sounds complicated, very easy to do.Hope this helps"

"The fuel pump you see is just

"The fuel pump you see is just a transfer pump. The injectors are under the valve cover,controlled by a rack hooked to govonor.To get the air out you can hook a hand pump to the fuel line coming out of the pump and running to cyl. head.Use the hand pump to prime the engine and hook the line back up before you start the engine.If you dont have a primer pump, have someone else use an air blow nozzle and put your hand over the fuel tank fill hole and pressurize the fuel tank,while cranking the engine.Be advised to relieve pressure before completely removing hand. Hope this helps."

Back