Logo

1981 Inline 6 115 Merc gas leak

dave

Contributing Member
" I just got back from Tenness

" I just got back from Tennessee on a fishing trip. I noticed gas on the water coming from my 1981 inline 6 115 merc. as I trolled all day.
Pulled the boat out, took the cover off and noticed gas drops on the bottom of the top carb. What would cause the leak? Checked all of the lines, OK. I did not run the motor out of the water. Any insight of what this may be. It is leaking pretting bad and it is coming from the motor, the smell of gas is bad. I know these motors leak some gas but this is a little more than normal.
Thanks,
Dave "

" sparky,

I've

" sparky,

I've been watching my 115 L6 leak right when I prime it and then when I tilt it up for a couple years now. If I keep priming, eventually it locks up and it overpowers the sqeeze bulb. Before and after rebuilding the carbs it didn't seem to make a difference.. It doesn't leak when the engine is running, the top seems to be the worst, then the next down & the next down after that. Is this normal for these engines? Where do you draw the line? Is it possible to keep them from leaking at all?

Jon "

" Sparky,
To fix the float va

" Sparky,
To fix the float valve do I need to buy a carb rebuild kit or is there an adjustment that can be made? Mine leak like Jon's below. Sometimes it doesn't leak much at all, but last week it was leaking everytime I shut the motor off. Pretty strong smell of gas, too.
Thanks,
Dave "

Those carburetors can be adju

Those carburetors can be adjusted on the float arms. Buy a new needle and seat (float valve) and swap it out.

Back