Logo

454 Crusader

imayachtsman

"I have a couple of problems.

"I have a couple of problems. First is it looks like I dont have any fuel getting to my carbs. When I took off my spark aresstor and opened my butterflys and cranked the engine (no fuel is dumping) I'm thinking it must be a fuel pump issue. Fuel/water seperator is clean. Also removed fuel filter in carb and dry as a bone. Second is my ignition, When I cranked the engine it starts then go to turn it off and nothing still runs? I replace the switch and ched the wires...now what?"

"Could be the pump, I changed

"Could be the pump, I changed one on my boat last year. It could also be the anti syphon valve which if you have one is probably located right at the fuel tank."

"Paul,

You have either a wi

"Paul,

You have either a wiring issue (have you changed the alternator or done any thing to the electrical system recently?) or a sticking relay or solenoid.

More information regarding the model of engine is needed to help more, but it the engine is still running, it is still getting voltage to the ignition system."

"Thanks Rick, I did change the

"Thanks Rick, I did change the alternator and it happens that I had some wires crossed and I fixed that problem. Still have the not getting fuel problem. I changed every fuel fillter inspected the fuel pump by pulling the inspection screw to see if fuel leaked (non did). Started the engine and It ran! I had it running for almost a half hour. I thought that it was fixed!!!! Sorry not that lucky. I went to start it back up a week later it ran for about 45 seconds then died. Tried to restart but would run for about 2 seconds then nothing. I'm thinking either a pluged fuel line or a bad fuel pump. It's a 1982 454 carborated that has about 100 hrs on a rebuild."

Paul-- Have you looked for an

Paul-- Have you looked for an anti-syphon valve??? They get dirty sometimes and will not allow fuel to flow. A friend had this problem with his engine. Cost him big bucks for mechanic who still did not find the problem until he was called to the dock one day and made to look for the reason the engine would not run.

Foggy

"Paul, It is easy enough to f

"Paul, It is easy enough to find out. Pull the fuel line from the carb, attach a hose to it and route it into a safe container. Crank the motor and see what comes out. Foggy is correct about the anti-siphon, that is a common point of failure. You should get a good stream of fuel. A better test is to connect a fuel pressure gage in-line and see what kind of pressure you have.

If you have no pressure, connect a portable fuel tank to the inlet side of the pump and try again. If you still have no pressure and your filter is good, replace the fuel pump. If you do have pressure with the portable tank connected, the problem lies in the boat system. Along with the anti-siphon, check the tank venting system. It is possible that mud wasps have made a nest in the vent fitting and the tank is not venting.

If you have pressure and still no fuel at the accelerator pump, I would have the carb checked out.
Good luck."

Well I cleaned everything up c

Well I cleaned everything up checked it out and thought I might just replace the coil regulator. Its a old style with points so its the ceramic type. Well it runs fine! Time will tell. I would have never thought it was that!

Back