Logo

Saving this old boat

B

Brad Starkey

"OK, picked up an abandoned La

"OK, picked up an abandoned Larson open bow, 16' I/O w/Mercury 150 hp 6 cyl. Need to know what engine it is, what drive, etc. Anybody know where I can get info. on it? Suggestions? Thanks."

"Is it an I/O or Outboard.....

"Is it an I/O or Outboard......

There was a 150hp, I6 motor that was an Outboard.....

The I6, Chevy motor used in the I/Os was 165hp......
It ran in front of the old Mod.1 drives.....

What Year is the hull,.??..."

Ther'se a serial number on

Ther'se a serial number on the engine block. That's a good place to start.

"It's an I/O. Powered by a

"It's an I/O. Powered by a 150 hp MerCruiser engine. Not sure what year it is yet. Any way to tell? Maybe a ID plate somewhere? Found a pic of a 1969, 16' Larson Lapline that looks identical bu it's an outboard."

Been beating the bushes and ha

Been beating the bushes and have figured out it's a Model-1(pre-Alpha-1)drive. Engine a 150 hp MerCruiser inline 6. Guess that makes the boat pre 1985. It's a start.

"Well, the consensus is to sel

"Well, the consensus is to sell the trailer and let somebody else wory about the boat. IE: not worth the effort. Oh well, it was a nice try. Thanks to all,

Me"

"If your still intrested in in

"If your still intrested in info on that motor?
Look just behind the Distribitor on the side of the engine block; Its part of the Block casting. This is your engine Casting Number. You can look for Chevy inline 6 Casting numbers on the internet.
You will find its a modifide Chevy Truck engine. Might be a 3.8L 230Cid. or the 4.1L 250 Cid. Befor 1970 160Hp; After 1970 165Hp.
Many parts are the same. Outdrive MR,Model 1. Again you can get parts, just got to look for them. If the Hull and trailer is still good why not fix it up?"

Back