Logo

43L Head Swap

nitrostix

"Hi All, this is my first post

"Hi All, this is my first post on this board.
I have a 1992 Sea Ray 200BR with the 4.3LX engine. It is rated at 205 HP (175 HP at the prop). Since my kids have grown and they and their freinds are heavier, I need more power. My choices are to swap in a 5.7L, or upgrade my existing 4.3. The 5.7L/315HP I'm looking at will set me back about 6K complete, however I can do the 4.3 upgrade for about 2K (I do all the work myself).
I was thinking of going with the GM Vortec heads P/N 12556140, Edlebrock 2114 Vortec Manifold, Edelbrock 3714 Cam (272/276 duration @.006, 210/214 duration @.050 with .479/.488 Valve lift and 112 Lobe C/L) and the GLM Aluminum Exhaust Kit. I have two guestions. Will the 12556140 heads bolt up to my 92 block (non-balance shaft engine) and are the bolt patterns on the front of the head the same for mounting the power steering pump/alternator. Also, approx how much Hp do you think this combo will produce?
Thanks a bunch, Jim."

"What size prop do you have?

"What size prop do you have?
If the issue is pulling up a skier, a smaller or not so steeply pitched prop will give you a better hole shot. There is a trade off, you'll loose some top end speed, but a different prop will cost a whole lot less than $2K."

"Troy, I"m running a 14X19

"Troy, I"m running a 14X19 Michigan Wheel aluminum 3 blade. My son and his freinds all weigh in at 200+ and with a few of them on board, well lets just say bow-wow coming out of the hole pulling a skier. I don't want to go down to a 17 pitch and loose my top end.
Jim"

"A couple things to consider w

"A couple things to consider when you dump in more ponies:
1) Outdrive gear ratio. With more power, to make that power effective, a different gear ratio may be in order. A 5.7L typically gets matched with 1.5 or 1.65:1 gears. Your 4.3L probably has 1.84:1 gears.
2) What's the horse power limit on the hull (per the CG plackard near the throttle)?
3) What's the added weight (engine swap) going to do to the overall trim charactersics? If you have to trim the drive way down to get the bow down while on plane, you may be loosing more power than you've added.

Here's some info from the manufacturer that may be helpful:
http://www.searay.com/boat_graphics/sea_ray_prop_charts/1992.ENGINE,DRIVE%20AND% 20PROP%20MATRIX.pdf

If you do more skiing than anything else, you may want to consider a different platform all together."

"Troy, I've seen the Sea R

"Troy, I've seen the Sea Ray numbers and checked my drive. It is the 1.84 drive. The boat originally came with an option for the 5.7L 260HP Engine, but due to the cost of sticking in the 5.7L and re-gearing the drive, I was leaning more towards going for more performance from the 4.3. That and as you mentioned, the weight issue. With the aluminum exhaust and intake manifold, I will be about 50 lbs lighter if I go this rout. If I go with the 5.7, I'll be adding about 150 lbs to her.
Jim"

"[quote]I have two guestions.

"
I have two guestions. Will the 12556140 heads bolt up to my 92 block (non-balance shaft engine) and are the bolt patterns on the front of the head the same for mounting the power steering pump/alternator. Also, approx how much Hp do you think this combo will produce?

Ayuh,.....
If that Edlebrock Manifold is of the Vortec bolt pattern,.....
You're Golden,..... All the other Holes are the Same,.... Including the Accessory holes on the front,+ backs of the heads....

I suggest you include a Street/ Strip Carb Tunng Kit in with your List,.....
It's Cheap money for what you get,...
Btw,.... The Merc./ Weber carb on many of the 4.3LXs,.... Is the Exact Same carb as the Edlebrock Performer series....
Hence,.. The Strip Kit works for Both Carbs....

I'll Guess that your Horsepower will be Considerably Higher than 215hp,......
And, Somewhere Under 300hp..............."

"Trust me: Adding Vortec heads

"Trust me: Adding Vortec heads alone won't do it. (I exchanged an "ordinary" SB Chevy for a Vortec and only at top end was there any real difference.) The best thing you can do is take some pitch off the prop. Ths will cost you a bit of top end and gas mileage, but it'll pull much better out of the hole.

Jeff

PS: Going to a V-8 is a HUGE endeaver. THe things you'll need to change are endless!"

"I'd skip the heads too.

"I'd skip the heads too. A great deal is made of the Vortec bowls, but Jeff is right, It's too high in the powerband to be of much good. I took my non vortec 4.3 and added an Edelbrock 1409 carb and 2111 manifold. Advance the timing 3 to 5 degrees. I did not do a cam but was advised it would add HP. Instead I went with a 1.6 Comp Cams Magnum Roller Rockers (self aligning). This was a step up from he stock 1.5 to add some more HP.
Be careful and check the pushrod length. The holes can be quite small and the geometry may lend itself to a slightlt longer pushrod. Hardened of course. I spent $575. Bought some cool Eddy aluminum VCs too, but ran into some clearance issues with my shift bracket assy. <sigh>

Bill"

"Bill, based on the changes yo

"Bill, based on the changes you made, how did it change the performance of the boat and was it what you expected?
Jim"

"The first thing I noticed was

"The first thing I noticed was a smoother cruise with less fuel consumption- and more power from 1750 to 4700. Before, the engine sounded like she was straining. (Duh, have you seen that manifold? I can understand that MC wants to build torque, but please.) Note: I went from the 2 barrel to 4 as well. Oh, and you will need a jet/metering rod kit for the carb. Eddy PN 1485 I think. We don't need the fuel flow of a 350.

The RRs have not hit the water yet. I expect around 13-15HP in friction reduction, pushrod flex reduction and gross lift. You don't gain any duration or overlap, (only a cam can do that) just a more precise lift off the valve seat and more time for air and fuel to enter the chamber. This motor is so easy to work on... I may cam it just because I get bored. Based on other motors I have worked on, I expect more pull for my bigger beer cooler. lol

Cams can be frustrating and few people understand them really. Most goobs take what the cam guys list or give em and shy away from custom grinds. I say you should know your application and cam accordingly. More duration and you start to move the HP and torque curve higher in the powerband. Be mindful of the overlap and what it means to performance. It is sometimes a better spec to consider than duration and center diams. And more is not always better for marine apps. The stick in the motor now is a roller cam set up for torque low--- for hole shots. Just thank god you don't have a ecu motor. They don't adapt well to rad cam changes without reflashing the fuel curves and timing advances. (=$$$) Here's a good read for anyone even considering a cam:

http://www.compcams.com/Community/Articles/Details.asp?ID=-2026144213

I wish I could find a blower for a 4.3. Talk about fun. lol Best I can figure is find one for a 350 and fab a correct pulley."

Back