Logo

Gimble bearing retaining clip

butt_ugly

"Ok, I'm new to the IO sc

"Ok, I'm new to the IO scene and know just about enough to be dangerous. Actually I know nothing really and am probably dangerous. Anyway, I'm having some work done on my OD, I believe it's an alphaI, and I'm helping the marine mechanic so I can learn what is what and what it does (and hopefully not getting too much in his way).

The gimble bearing was replaced today, and upon taking out the old, a retaining clip was first removed. When the new one went in, the mechanic said the clip is essentially not needed with the newer style gimble bearings because they seat so tightly and never had one come loose. Also that if it ever siezed onto the shaft it would be easier to get out next time for repair.

Is this true? Is it a common practice? He is one of the most reputable marine mechanics around my area, so I want to believe him, but just thought I'd throw this out there before we put the rest of the drive back on tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for any replies if they come early enough."

"I honestly don't think th

"I honestly don't think that Merc would have designed the outdrive with 'might not need it again' parts. If it came that way, and was designed that way, put it back the way you found it. Just a thought."

"In all the years I have had I

"In all the years I have had I/O drives, I have never seen or used a retaining clip on a gimbal bearing. Of course all my units were used when I bought them so it may have already been removed by some mechanic."

"Well, 2 out of three aint ba

"Well, 2 out of three aint bad!

I figured he knew what he was doing. Sorry for spelling gimbal incorrectly.

Thanks for you input."

"Ayuh,..... I gotta Admit,....

"Ayuh,..... I gotta Admit,.....

I've removed more of them, Than I've Installed.....

The Snap-ring I mean...."

Back