Logo

Thanks to allFireball V8C 225

cal

Regular Contributor
"I want to thank all who helpe

"I want to thank all who helped with this project beginning just about a year ago. Thanks to Andrew for steering me to the manuals. Thanks to both Andrew and Jeff for advice and encouragement and thanks to Pat for getting me in touch with GrayMarine Inc for parts, hoses, gaskets..all OEM.
With this site this project would not have happened. Now on to finishing the hull and interior.
Cal"

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
61485.jpg
Finished Graymarine Fireball V8C 225

"Cal,

Looks great! Congratu

"Cal,

Looks great! Congratulations!
thumbs_up.gif

Keep us updated and post some pictures of the boat and the engine in the boat when you get a chance."

"Cal, your engine looks great!

"Cal, your engine looks great! You do some fine looking work. Glad it all came together for you I hope to start rebuilding my gray-188 this spring. Best of luck with the hull! Congrats Pat"

Welcome. Any info you need on

Welcome. Any info you need on the 327/225 can probably be gotten right here.
Cal

by removing the side draft ca

by removing the side draft carb's and replacing them with a 4 bbl intake and a 4bbl Carter AFB carb around a 6oo-650 cfm. you will have the 238 hp but if you do that better check your heigth clearances. may not be able to do that. the timing and the rest of the spec's are the same
Fred

"I've got a grey 225 hp wi

"I've got a grey 225 hp with carter yh sidedrafts and would like to rebuild it and do a litle cam and head work for a rackity rack sound at idle and better performance out of the hole. It's in a 49 higgins 17'sport speedster deluxe and is shown in acbs shows in nor cal/tahoe and would like it to look stock and detailed,yet be enhanced in performance. Will the carbs handle more demand with the upgrades? any body know the rated CFMs?"

"Steve, check the mail I sent

"Steve, check the mail I sent you. I will also send you the specs for the carbs. If you really want a "rackity rack" sound set the timing back about 15 degees...only kidding.
Ca;"

"Steve,
Im working on a Hig

"Steve,
Im working on a Higgins myself, a 1962 Port Royal. It was originally powered by 130HP (250AMC) Gray. This had a single sidedraft YH.

I have a couple of other Graymarine Fireball V8s, one's a 188 ,the other is a 225. Both of these have the twin Carter YH sidedrafts.

Im going to install the 188 in the Higgins. One thing you need to watch if you install a 4bbl intake is the engine cover clearance. Most of the times the sidedrafts were used to keep the installed engine height low."

"BTW Cal , The engine looks GR

"BTW Cal , The engine looks GREAT!!!!

I've got to ask about the yellow ID plates on top of the intake runner. It looks like new? Did you paint it? Or are replacements available?

Again...VERY NICE!!!"

"The yellow ID plates are orig

"The yellow ID plates are original, not painted. There is a person on the centurywoodedboats, yahoo forum that can do replacement plates. I know he did some metal owner plates for the Century boat owners, silkscreened on brass, alum etc. I don't know if he would be able to do the engine plates. The other option you might have is to contact gray marine inc in st charles IL they might have the plates.
Cal"

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
375085.jpg

This is the tag before it was cleaned up. Just a light 000 Steel wool and a coat of laquer."

"Cal,
The problem with my pl

"Cal,
The problem with my plates is half of the yellow paint is worn off and gone.

I see your tag only has two rivets... I think all three of my Gray's have 4 rivets. Do you know what the casting dates are on the intake? ...Mannnn that motor looks nice!"

"Not a clue what the casting d

"Not a clue what the casting dates are, I will look later this month if they are molded onto the cast. Right now the boat is hanging from the lift rings getting some touch up on the bottom paint and I hesitate crawling in it being suspended as it is. The serial number might give some indication but one would have to have the resources to check them out.
The motor did't quite look like that at the beginning. Somewhere on this site is a blow by blow rebuild of the engine with pics if you search.
Cal
375118.jpg

375119.jpg
"

Hi All. New to the forum and new to Gray Marine engines :)
Looking to rebuild my Gray Marine 327. I believe it is an early 60's engine. Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: "BTW Cal , The engine looks GR

Always_Looking,

I am the guy Cal is referring to that did the replacement Hull ID and Capacity plates for the guys in the Century Boat Club group... I can recreate and produce these plates, although I have not done a yellow one yet! *Note replacements are not painted or silk screened nor do they have raised lettering like the originals, but you won't have to worry about paint chipping or rubbing off! The plates are done in such a way that the ink and metal bond together. If you are interested I would need a good square picture of the plate and accurate dimensions so I can recreate the plate, feel free to email me directly at [email protected]

Steve

Re: "<[img]"http://www.marineengin

Steve from the Century Yahoo group here (did the Hull ID and Capacity Plates), Good Looking Engine Cal!

I cant' recall if we spoke about doing decals for you for this or not but if you need them let me know... I am farily certain the 22hp decal belwo is the one you would need if you don't already have it (need to double check the dimensions though as I am not exactly sure the correct size.
Fireball 225 decal.jpg
Also am no certain if this engine would need any of the timing or firing order decals that other Fireballs used (seen in the center column of the image below)
Fireball decals.jpg

Just thought I would let you know what I currently have available... If you have pics of other decals and accurate dimensions I can recreate them!

Hope all is well and happy boating!

Steve

Cal, I just peeked in on your thread here. Very nice work and you have given great attention to detail. My hat is off to you! :D

Question:
Am I seeing what appears to be a vacuum advance unit on your ignition distributor? Just curious!

61485.jpg

Back