Logo

Replace 43 with long or short block

chris_f

"1986 OMC 4.3, I have done eve

"1986 OMC 4.3, I have done everything to find water leak, pressure tested cooling system cold and hot, I am givin in. What really bothers me is that this engine just runs so sweet. Should I get a long block or short block? I have not seen any short blocks online."

"I lost Your previous posting,

"I lost Your previous posting, but think to remember Your main problem was water in oil.
If engine runs without problems and no water traces on the sparks, the leakage is most certainly 'below piston rings'. One 'normal' spot is at the bottom of the water jackets. You may pressure and do all sorts of tests, but if engine is not running, never find it unless You rip it apart. If You are lucky, it may be the water channel throug the intake manifold, but that too You have to dismantle.
I would not recomend short or long before You have taken the present engine apart and found the leak. If it is in the manifold, new engine would be a waste."

"I have had the intake off twi

"I have had the intake off twice in last month. There was some rust in the valley that appeared to come from the corner near water channel of intake. New gaskets both times with plenty of permatex. Had intake off and made plates to cover head water ports and pressured block and heads to 24lbs- that held for 10 hrs. No cracks visible in valley. Maybe I should remove intake,use same plates to cover intake water channels, pressure test intake on bench and look for crack with soapy mix to eliminate bad intake? Your idea to dismantle engine and find problem before purchasing new makes good sense. If I tear apart engine, would a crack in the bottom of the water channel in the block be visible or would the block need to be magnafluxed to find crack?"

"You would normally be able so

"You would normally be able so see a hairline crack even on the 'oily' side, but not allways.
If pressure testing, try to use hot water, or heat the unit with a propane torch, but carefully and even!"

"I have sometimes with rather

"I have sometimes with rather good result taken some pix with a 4.0 mega pix digi cam and 'blown' them up in my computer. Amazing how You get a different 'wiev' of things, and may focus on smaller areas."

"Just My take on it,.......

"Just My take on it,.......

I Really Don't think you have a Cracked Block,..... with 24psi on it,....
You'd Hear a Leak......

I'd be looking at that Intake,.. Much More Closely,... If it's Not Cracked,... I'd think the Issue is at it's mating surfaces on the heads....."

Back