Logo

DOELFIN HYDROFOILbS

D

david wesley

"Are these good, how do they w

"Are these good, how do they work, are they easy to install.. anyone have these with good results, i am thinking about getting some for my alpha one but don't know anything about them, or which is best any help is great. it will be on a 18 foot ski runabout boat with a 3.7 mercruiser and alpha one for fishing and pulling tubes"

"I have a 22ft bayliner cruise

"I have a 22ft bayliner cruiser with a 3.7 and alph one, and the hydrofoils work great. the boat handles better and plains quicker. they are definetly worth the money. you will not be disappointed"

"I used the the sting ray hydr

"I used the the sting ray hydrofoil on my SeaRay 160 with 3 liter merc. It made a huge difference in the hole shot and it also handled the rough water better.

It is more expensive than the doel fin, but is bigger and might be what you need for your boat. don't go by price alone."

so which type or brand seems t

so which type or brand seems to be better before i order...

I'm guessing that you shou

I'm guessing that you should really look into the Sting Ray. As mentioned I had that on my boat. My buddy had the Doel-Fin on his Bass Boat and it didn't seem to get the nose down enough. I had the doel fin on my pontoon and it did help a little but I wasn't looking for performance.

"If these make such a big perf

"If these make such a big performance improvement, why doesn't Merc incorporate this foil design into their casting?"

Why doesn't Mercruiser put

Why doesn't Mercruiser put them on every design?......just another example of the man trying to keep us down!

I'm not saying every boat needs a hydrofoil. Merc makes engines for a multitude of boats. Their design cannot perfectly match all those diffent boats to perfection and I think you find the biggest need for the hydrofoil is when the boat might be considered underpowered or smallest engine available on the size of boat in question. I think the originator of this thread may be an example of this situation. 3.7 liter on 18 ft boat likely loaded down with friends/family and lots of equipment/toys that weren't even available when the boat was made!

"Thanks for the help i think i

"Thanks for the help i think i will check into the sting ray version. my boat runs very well and reach's speeds of 50 mph with the little 3.7, however it takes a little bit to get it planed and it comes off of plane when at low speeds and leaves the bow up in the air, thus reducing visibility, other than that when running and crusing it is fine and fast for that engine, maybe it is the toys and people dragging it down out of the hole and making it harder to plane... thanks guys"

""the man trying to keep u

""the man trying to keep us down!"

Give me a break. You probably also believe that GM ( or Exxon or the CIA) quashed the 100 mpg carburetor that they got from the Roswell aliens. Mercury is in the business of making money by providing the best product that they can at the best price that they can to maximize sales and profits for their stockholders. Also Alpha and Bravo drives are used mainly for people that want some semblence of performance from their crafts. I have never seen one on a tug, dredge or barge. I still ask, if it is so good why isn't this foil on an outdrive from the factory?"

"adam, That was a joke! I gue

"adam, That was a joke! I guess I should have put one of those smiley faces afterward

Have you ever been on a boat before and after that has needed and added a hydro foil? I have, it makes a difference!

My current boat doesn't need one and I wouldn't add one!

for searary help (the boat itself) you can also find help at www.clubsearay.com"

"well to all that have helped

"well to all that have helped with advice, thanks a bunch. i will be ording one of these and trying it out this spring when i take the boat back to the lakes. So adam, i will be letting you know about your negative thought's on this and letting everyone know this spring if it has helped or not, thanks again, David"

one more thought... I had a 19

one more thought... I had a 19' with a 3.7l and it made a huge difference with vs without. Much improvement.

So i dropped the $ to put them on my twin alpha 28' and it didnt do a thing. Must be the Roswell aliens.

;-) :) :) :)

"ROFLMAO!!!! (Rolling On t

"ROFLMAO!!!! (Rolling On the Floor Laughing My Arse OFF)

This thread was informative and entertaining! I guess I don't need to put a hydrofoil on my 4.3L Alpha ! or my 65# thrust electric trolling motor after all. Thanks Guys for the facts, experience and the humor on this -0 degree weekend in SW OH. It was TDC to bowhunt the last day of the season anyway. Guy"

"I went with the attwood Gull

"I went with the attwood Gull wing, found a pair on ebay for 20 bucks. I figured the gull wing design will be out of the way when I'm up on plane because of the deep V design of my hull and not cause as much resistance. Haven't tried it yet, I'm waiting for another 80 degree day once these darn cold fronts stop coming through sunny Florida. I'll let you all know."

"Good Deal Collin! Would you

"Good Deal Collin! Would you mind stopping back and reporting what you think of the addittion? That way people will be able to get answers during a search of the forum!

BTW, don't want to hear about 80 degree days. Just went through several sub zero nights here in the midwest.

tj"

"UPDATE,
I took the boat out

"UPDATE,
I took the boat out yesterday, 3-200 pound humans, full tank of gas and a full cooler. It ran great, fast on plane, top end unaffected 53 mph."

"P.S. FYI
1997 19 ft. bayline

"P.S. FYI
1997 19 ft. bayliner capri bowrider, 4.3 2bbl, 1.81 outdrive, 23 pitch stainless."

Collin and guys:

I have a

Collin and guys:

I have a 1987 19' Baretta with a non-vortec 175 HP 4.3L (1996 long block) w/a 2 BBL Merc Carb. I have been using a 15.25" 21P SS Michigan prop which gave great hole shots (I think better than the 19P alum. before). Boat weighs 3200 lbs. w/o people. Couldn't get it over 40+ mph at 4300 rpm when trimmed out on a smooth lake with a tank of gas and 450 lbs. of hogs in it.

Just purchased a 14.25" 19P SS Michigan prop to increase the RPM to the 4400-4800 on the engine tag. Did the gull wing actually make the difference for you? What HP 4.3 are you running? Guy

"Guy,
I'm not sure you co

"Guy,
I'm not sure you could expect much more speed out of your motor than what you are getting. You're probably pushing 4500-5000 loaded with people and equipment. 450lbs of hogs??? My son alone weighs 230!

Was the speed by speedo or gps?"

"WF: It was measured by a new

"WF: It was measured by a new Faria Speedo, same for tach. I have a Garmin GPS that I'll check it with when I can get out in March. I guess the non-vortec 4.3L is a major contributor to slow speed. I need to get the boat weighed again since I refurbed it last summer--it was water logged and could have been carrying a few 100 lbs. of water.

Thanks, Guy"

"Guy,
It made a difference in

"Guy,
It made a difference in the hole shot, I think my motor is 190 hp, I just put GLM manifolds and 4" risers on it this past summer, converting from the single piece stock ones utilizing a pair of funky mercruiser brand elbows I found on Ebay to make the transition to the Y pipe, that might have given me more power. At least that's what they claim. I think the boat weighs about 2500 lbs dry."

I had a sting-ray put on last

I had a sting-ray put on last summer at a local boat shop and had to redue it later after finding out that they had placed it on at a slant causing my boat to list to the left real bad.

"I have a Bayliner 2052 with a

"I have a Bayliner 2052 with a Mercruiser 4.3 ltr 205hp, do you think with a hydrofoil fin will work better? The thing that bothers me the most is when the sea is a bit choppy and you have to get of plane to go slower, do you think the ride gets any better? thanks"

"Steve,
I feel like it made m

"Steve,
I feel like it made my boat handle the chop better.

I had the hydro foil not the doel fin"

Back