Logo

Kad44p slow start when cold

C

Corey Maire

I live in N Florida so cold it

I live in N Florida so cold it relative but when it was 80 degrees out and the engine hadn't been run it was 10 seconds of cranking and now with temps in the 40's it is almost double cranking time. All air and fuel filters are new and clean and the batteries are 6 months old marine batteries but it still kicks the low voltage alarm sometimes on the first start and sounds like it is turning over slower when it is colder. Once it is warmed up starting is immediate. I was thinking bigger batteries but would like some opinions. It runs like a scalded dog and idles perfectly with no smoke so I don't think it could be that the valves need adjusting. I am not sure if it has glow plugs so I don't know if one could be burned out or not but I am starting it per the manuals instructions. Thanks for your help again I am new to diesels.

Switch to synethic diesel oil.

Switch to synethic diesel oil. When you have time pull the start and have it checked for wear.
Also there are people who will say don't go to synethic in a older engine because it may cause leaks. That just not the case with the newer oils. I will not use any oil other then synethic in my repair work.

Synthetic oil is not the answe

Synthetic oil is not the answer. Ignition timing is very important. If the injection pump has been removed earlier it is very important to check by special tool. If it is a A version the separate EDC supply wiring has to come from separate battery. later models ha dc/dc converter to maintain voltage during cranking.

Back