Logo

Is the motor too big

dwk

"i am looking at buying a 16ft

"i am looking at buying a 16ft fibreglass boat that has a 200hp motor on the back, i am concerned that the motor is too big for the size of the boat , however i am after the power for wakeboarding. can anyone help me with this
thanks"

"is there a coast gaurd sticke

"is there a coast gaurd sticker with a maximum horsepower rating?who is the manufacture call them if they are still in buisness.all boats have a maximum horse power rating.do you know how to swim?but i kinda like big v6"s on surf boards. although it sound real fun it might be against the law.it totally depends on the hull design, transom strengh, length, and the horspower rating."

"There are no laws regulating

"There are no laws regulating engine size. There are, however, recommendations. These recommendations are factored by the US Coast Guard using a very simple formula. Contrary to popular belief, there is no testing involved in this process. It has nothing to do with the actual construction of the boat, including construction method, weight, freeboard, transom height, etc.

As an individual you can install whatever engine you choose. However, if a dealer installs an engine larger than that recommended by the Coast Guard he can be held liable in the event anyone is injured in that boat and it is determined that it was due to being overpowered.

These recommendations only apply to vessels 20' and smaller. This is why most performance O/B boat manufacturers list anything close to 20' at 20'1".

This is where common sense comes into play, although if it were truly common, everyone would have it..."

first things first putting a b

first things first putting a bigger engine on a boat will not make it go any faster than the design speed ie underwater hull shape and also you run the risk of ripping the transom off with the extra weight and power try and check on boat specs and max engine size

Back