Logo

How much coolant loss on 2005 81 MPI HO is too much

C

ConrolledBurn

I am losing about one ounce pe

I am losing about one ounce per hour from the port engine. The engines are freshwater cooled. There is no apparent leak from the engine into the engine room and no white vapor coming from the exhaust.

Is this normal in a closed fresh water system? We don't lose coolant in a car radiator system at least when it is new.

What are your thoughts?

"No you don't lose coolant

"No you don't lose coolant in a closed system. One ounce per hour would not show up in the exhaust stream. Although you might smell a sweet anti freeze scent in the exhaust. Try replacing the tank cap. A bad cap might allow pressure to rise and blow some out the cap, which might be hard to trace. Its a cheap fix to a problem that may take a long time to find. It is also possible to be losing that amount to the coolant tank in expansion."

"If you are convinced you are

"If you are convinced you are losing coolant I would have the system pressure tested. If you have an older model with the cap on the heat exchanger you can use a normal radiator tester. If you have the new version with the remote tank, you will need an adapter. The adapter is the same as used on a Volvo automotive application. It is possible that the cap is bad, but you would see the spillage in the bilge. A leaking gasket, however, you would not see and it is much cheaper to fix now then after it does some real damage."

Keep in mind you have a three

Keep in mind you have a three year warranty. One year from Crusader and two years from First Protection.

Back