Logo

Repowering 81 or 81HO

rickr

"Looking to repower Crusader 4

"Looking to repower Crusader 454's with new 8.1's. I have an 88 37' Wellcraft Cozumel, this boat is sized and weighted very close to a Tiara 36 convertable. The crane weighed it at 22000 at haul out. Please don't suggest diesel, I did the math and at only 150 hours a year along with diesel now costing 15% to 25% higher than gas in my area I will be well in my grave before I break even.

My qusetion is wether to go with the standard output 8.1's or the High Output 8.1's at 425hp. I have heard arguments that the HO's are for racing only and I would never use the added HP. I have noticed that many new manufactuers use the HO's in boats my size. The Crusader Website states that the HO is "Excellant for big boats and heavy applications". I can't find any torque cure information comparing these so I really don't know if there is a benefit. Is there a real benifit to put in the HO's for a boat of my size? The cost differenct isn't that much. I just want to make sure I install the correct engine for my application."

"Rick,

First of all Crusade

"Rick,

First of all Crusader is not in the race boat engine business, so any thought that the HO engine was only for racing is absurd. They don't even solicit that market. That being said, I still wouldn't buy one. The 8.1 MPI will deliver power comparible to the HO version under normal conditions. The added HP comes into play at the top end. Although the engines do have different camshafts, throttle bodies and ECM programming, most of the added HP is developed by turning more RPMs (5000 vs. 4600).

The performance advantage, under normal operating conditions, is not noticable and therefore not worth the increased price. If you like to run WOT all day, the HO is the engine of choice, otherwise, stick with the MPI.

Good luck
Rick
(Crusader Premier Dealer)"

Looking for rebuilt long block

Looking for rebuilt long block 305. Where is a dependable place to buy a 305

"Rick:

Go with the base eng

"Rick:

Go with the base engines. The 425 hp motors won't help gas mileage at all, and that's what we all need to concentrate on. Agreed with your diesels opinon: lots of folks have found that out--and that was before the fuel prices shot up!

Josh:

Start a new thread of your own, please.

Jeff"

"I Think you should go for the

"I Think you should go for the 8.1 HO. I have a 37' sea ray express and was thinking of doing the same... The HO will actually help the gas mileage because your boat will not strain as much to get your 22000 lbs going. Plus you can re-gear your transmission and get a few more knots out of it. And they have more torque, and that's what you need!"

HO engines have more cam overl

HO engines have more cam overlap thus generating more opportunity for the dreaded water ingestion. Crusader seems to have defeated that problem but I wouldn't chance it. Love my 2007 8.1 in the 25' Carolina Classic. When I hit the dock I do a fresh water flush of the engine with the intake sea cock closed even if I'm going out later or the next day.

I have a Groce flushing adapto

I have a Groce flushing adaptor in the line right after the seacock. They are a little over $100 each. Do a search for Groco Engine Flush.

It has a plug that comes out and you get a fitting that you screw the water hose on to. then jusdt close the seacock. Some folks say to limit the water pressure you put on the fresh water pump if you are fresh water cooled. My Crusader 8.1L engine pump will suck a water hose flat at just a little above idle.

Back