Logo

KIng Cobra Shift Problem

curt_garrett

"Well, I got my upper gear set

"Well, I got my upper gear set replaced and had clutch Dog done at same time. Now clutch dog slips badly, tryed to adjust it so it engaged further but to get it to work I have to adjust it so far that the cutout switch trys to engage. I was told by a local mechanic it is probably a bent Bell Crank. He says it is common when you have a clutch dog slipping as the old one did to bend the bell crank, but you can't tell its bent until you actually remove and inspect it. Any thoughts on this. It is very depressing to have all this work done, then it slips worse than it did previously. I tryed opening engine hatch and pulling shift linkage forward about 1/8" and it stopped slipping as I finished moving boat from launch ramp to my berth. I was also told that they make a bell crank upgrade kit for about $150.00 and it only requires drilling out a small tab and installing it. That is if the bell crank is actually bent and needs replacement. Can anyone think of anything else that would cause clutch dog to slip, besides the bell crank or a bad adjustment. I had lower end inspected while upper gear set was being replaced and the mechanic said the only thing he saw wrong with lower end was chips on the clutch dog which he replaced. Please help if you have suggestions to cure this problem.

Bummed in Calif."

"You should pull the drive and

"You should pull the drive and check the bellcrank for being bent or at least being in the 90 degree position. Don't know if I'd go with the new style bellcrank although if it's the one I think then it comes with a zirc so you can grease it. Have you ever read through Stuart's OMC Cobra website? It has a ton of info but the best is the method for the DYI person to adjust the lower shift cable (including bellcrank) Very handy to print off and keep for reference.

http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/"

"Well Bob, you were right. The

"Well Bob, you were right. The Bell Crank was Bent on both ends. We replaced it and the shift cable. Took it for a test drive with my mechanic on board and it worked flawlessly. That was on Friday, I took it out Saturday morning for Super Bowl Fishing Derby. Drove it about 10 or 12 miles and then back to harbor to weigh in fish. Left harbor to go back to fishing and clutch dog started slipping again. I am at my wits end and getting very depressed about this boat. I don't understand how it could work flawlessly one minute and then start slipping again for no apparent reason. Got any thoughts on this???"

"If You as mentioned in Your e

"If You as mentioned in Your earlier post ' done the clutch dog' mean re-grinded it, the dog needs a longer travel before it engages properly!
Furthermore did You meassure the shift cable length of travel at the engine?
You have to do a proper check of the whole system, not just selected parts. If it 'at the end' does not match the specs, You will be in trouble!
Remote controle wear, cable length/wear, link/bushing wear are all what may add up to a problem at the end."

Thanks for the info.I will sta

Thanks for the info.I will start at the control and work my way back. It seems I can shift into forward and then go to linkage on engine and move it forwards another 1/2" maybe shift mechanism on engine is gummed up and not allowing full travel when shifted.

"Check your shift rod as well,

"Check your shift rod as well, this is the piece that fits onto the bellcrank to do the shifting, if the bellcrank was bent then ??? Some people have tried to pull the lower unit off the drive before without removing the entire drive, you can imagine what this does to the bellcrank and shift rod."

"Hey Curt, check with Dennis a

"Hey Curt, check with Dennis at D&R Marine in Rodeo,510-799-6644. I had an intermittent problem with my Cobra and he took care of it in no time. Good Luck!"

Back