Logo

Repower Long blocks from RapidO Marine in Miami

eddievanhalen

"Hello,

I just got done dia

"Hello,

I just got done diagnosing my low compression readings in 3 cylinders of a OMC 302 Ford. My boat is a 1977 Formula/Thunderbird Castaway, twin 5.0 302cid Ford OMC setup. When I pulled the head off, I came to the conclusion that it's time for full engine repower. The h20 passages in the exh. manifolds and cylinder heads were caked with salt and corrosion. I plan on cruising with my wife and son 30 miles out of SF Bay, so I'm not taking any chances on these engines. So, out they go.

I'd like to stick with the OMC/Ford setup for cost reasons. I found a place called RapidO Marine in MIami (www.rapidomarine.com) that sells rebuild long block 302 Ford for $1400 including shipping.

If I'm to rebuild the engines myself, I'd only save $200 a piece or so.

Has anyone bought a motor from Rapid O?

Also, I'm looking for a couple of 4 barrel Holley marine carbs and exhaust manifolds for these engines...any recommendations on source for these?

Thanks!"

"Somethings not right. A shop

"Somethings not right. A shop cannot properly rebuild and ship a marine engine for that price.
Beware. I suggest you contact AERA and find a competent engine shop in your area. Remember about things that seem too good to be true. 302 Ford blocks must be bored and honed with torque plates. I suggest not going beyond +030 over if you can. Marine engine are actually performance engine, and need to be built as such."

"for carbs try B & G Marin

"for carbs try B & G Marine In Pittsburg, Ca. I see you are in Bay Area and so am I . I bought carb for Ford 302 from them myself for brother's boat. 1992 marlin with ford 302 and omc cobra outdrive"

Back