Logo

Tbi vers tpi

jeffy76252

"Well as far as im concerned i

"Well as far as im concerned i know the tpi"vortec" 350 has more power, but the 350 tbi" from 88-95 chevys" is the best motor that chevy has put out. tbi is easy to work on , parts are cheap. and most engines went for 200k+ miles in autos. The vortec i had, intake started leaking after 75k and spun bearings at 102K.
I am planning to put a tbi in my old 82 model boat, trust me i bought a 2005 brand new glastron with 5.0 carb. and wished it was fuel injected. Sold that boat because had too much money in it for how much i used it. Btw bought the boat in my pick for $350.00. what a steel!
i will answer any questions Chevy related, cause its what i know."

"Hi Jeff,....

The Problem,

"Hi Jeff,....

The Problem, or Issues with your Plan is all about the way Fuel,+ Sparks are handled in Boats.........

Basically,........
ANYTHING that handles Sparks, or Gasoline has to be of the Marine variety to be Legal,+ so things Don't go BOOM when the switch is Turned......
Starters, Alt.s, Fuelpumps,+ the Induction Systems is most of it....

That means All of the Induction Systems that Chevy used,.....
Aren't directly used on Marine motors......

That's a Sharp looking boat in your pic,....
What's the Drive,..??
That'll have Alot to do with just how Well you want that 350 to run......."

"The motor itself won't be

"The motor itself won't be a problem, although it should be a truck motor, ideally. The fuel pump needs to be electric and they're easily available for boats but you'll need to look into what happens with excess fuel at the regulator. If you look at a ski boat with an Indmar TBI motor (Mastercraft) from before '98, you'll see what you need to know. They went to in-tank pumps in '98 and they're pricey. You can't use the vapor canister like they have in cars and trucks. Since it would be TBI, you can use the same distributor style as what GM used in their trucks, with the flat side and two harnesses. Depending on the weight of your boat, you may be able to use a harness and ECM from a scrapped ski boat but in the case of Mastercraft, they tailor the program to the boat and if your boat weighs more/less than what the ECM came from, it may run rich or lean.

I would look around for a marine salvage yard if I were you. They strip boats down for all kinds of reasons and some have very young motors. If you try to use a car or truck ECM, it's going to want an O2 sensor and if it doesn't see input from one, you'll throw a code and it's going to go to a default program and run like a stove."

"Hey guys, dont see the proble

"Hey guys, dont see the problem with the spark or fuel, as for the fuel on a tbi it comes out the regulator into a fuel return which my boat had anyways so ill just plug it into the fuel return. as for the o2 sensor they make imulators to tell the computer what it wants so no codes are thrown.
Now as for the air intake, i'm planning to run a flame arestor, or perhaps a snorkel set up like you'd find on a mud machine. it would be totaly sealed off and only draw air from an outside source.
The fuel pump will be a inline fuelpump rated at 8 to 15 psi cuz its all you need for tbi unlike vortec that needs 55psi.
i appreciate all the tips keep em coming, Just got through ripping all the interior out today, Cant wait to get that 350 out of there, and redo all the floor. any one know where to get a universal fuel sender with a pick-up from?"

"8-15 isn't enough- the la

"8-15 isn't enough- the later TBI used pumps that could do about 30 psi. You shouldn't need a snorkle, a flame arrestor will work fine and if you want to use a M&N, go ahead, Some boat manufacturers have used them with no problems. Just make sure to clean it occasionally- filthy flame arrestors are probably the most often neglected thing I have even seen on boats.

Universal senders are available all over. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting one.

Seriously, call around."

Back