Logo

Hey Croozertoo

joe

Regular Contributor
" Hi, Hope Rob gets that Catal

" Hi, Hope Rob gets that Catalina up and running. Your right, the Catalina's are gaining in popularity. The CC Roamer Club now has a Catalina section. Check the website if you get a chance. Question, I posted the thermostat location question a while back. Also looking for a source for the custom bent hoses. Was hopeing you might have an answer. P.S. I still refuse to cut that bulkhead!
Joe "

"Hi Joe! There are several pa

"Hi Joe! There are several parts of my 305K I haven't had to repair or replace yet, and the thermostat & hoses are some of them. So I don't really have an answer for you on these. I'll take a look at my engine manual, though. I have a feeling OEM style hoses are rare birds, but others could be adapted.

Now a question for you....have you replaced your exhaust manifolds and/or risers? If so, can you give me the brand and part numbers you used? My manifolds & risers are original and are at the top of my replacement list. Looking for something like these Osco's in the same configuration:

http://cobemarine.com/s-cart/product.phtml?ProdID=7056

I'm registered on the Commander site, but don't see a Catalina page on the Roamer site???

"

" Hey Croozertoo,

Checkout

" Hey Croozertoo,

Checkout

ebasicepower.com

they have crate motors with everything but the kitchen sink, for $3200.
They also have exhaust kits for about $500, includes manifolds, risers and all gaskets.

See Ya,
Rob "

" Hey Joe, if you are looking

" Hey Joe, if you are looking for molded hoses, NAPA has a hose cat. that is sweet. It shows profiles of hoses and is listed by size! If you can bamboozle your local NAPA store into looking at it you will probably find what you want, but it will not have a Chric Craft logo and only be about a fourth the cost of original. Good Luck, Kim "

" Kim Thanks for the NAPA tip.

" Kim Thanks for the NAPA tip. I have a store close by and will check it out. Think I can live without the Chris Craft logo. Croozertoo my error I meant the Commander site. I am registered also. They sent me a neat news letter. As to the manifolds and risers, mine are Barr's BARMC-1-77234 and BARMC-1-77235 one number is the right and the other left side $269 each. The manifold end plates are BAR1-60252 $28, BAR1-54870 $18, two of each are required. One is a blank cover, the other has a hose nipple. The risers are BARMC-20-55730 $134 These risers aim the exhaust straight down. I have a short lenght of exhaust hose from them down to the bilge then fiberglass 90 degree turns that connect to the horizontal run to the mufflers and out the transom. This was an expensive set up, but fit well and allowed the tranny oil cooler and most hoses to remain in their original locations. I have since found a reasonably priced solution. Check out Manifold BARCHV-1-83 (same both sides) and riser BAR20-0082. A lot less money if center risers are ok with you. Manifolds-$179, risers-$99 no end plates needed. My buddy installed a set on his Chris Craft Lancer inboard and they worked out sweet. Take some height measurements to make sure the riser tops clear the hatch. A local marine supply here on Long Island still stocks the original style Chris Craft manifolds and risers but are EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE. I can check the part numbers if you want. Besides why hassle with poppet valves that stick and 2 million bolts and gaskets. I would appreciate to hear what your book shows as the proper thermstat location. Thanks again
Joe "

"Thanks, guys! I'll make

"Thanks, guys! I'll make a note of those parts, Joe. And I bookmarked www.basicpower.com, Rob.

I agree, there's no point in spending big bucks on original NOS pieces. I don't think center risers would clear the cockpit sole. It's pretty tight in there vertically, as I'm sure you know. I'll do some measuring, though.

I should be able to get my manual this weekend, so I'll look up the thermostat and hose info.

Thanks again!

"

"Hey Joe, I've got a pic o

"Hey Joe, I've got a pic of the thermostat housing on my 305K. I'll email it tomorrow.

"

" Great, Want to see if your h

" Great, Want to see if your housing is the same as mine. The picture in my book is really vague as to thermostat position. Since I have had this boat, the temp gauge has not budged. I checked the wire on the sending unit by grounding to the block and the gauge pinned. The sending unit itself was changed, but the gauge still does not move. Thats why I suspect the stat being in the wrong place or installed upside down. Bad news, My bellhousing does not have the little cover plate you told me about to check the timing. Absolutely cannot get a timing light on the front sawtooth. So when I install the Pertronics distributor I do not know how I will get it timed properly. What a terrible design!! How many degrees of advance do you run on your 305K? Checking my book they call for 4'BTC for a single point distributor and 8'BTC for a dual point unit. So what would an electronic distributor get set at?? "

"Joe, I tried your address [em

"Joe, I tried your address [email protected] and got a non-delivery notice. Is your address correct? Let me know and I'll try to send the pic again. It's just a shot of the housing, lifting ring and hose connections.

Wow, without that flywheel access port you do have a problem. Maybe that's why my engine manual makes no mention of it. It looks like a factory plate, though.

4 degrees is a safe setting with points, but you can probably dial in a little more with a Pertronix unit. It makes the timing more accurate, but without a strobe on a timing mark you're just making an educated guess. I'm running the timing mark on dead center, probably about 4 to 6 degrees BTDC.

About the only thing you can do is try small variations and run the engine till you find the best top end and smooth idle. If you ever rebuild the engine, I'd cut an access hole in the bellhousing and mark the flywheel for timing.

"

Got the pic on my other compu

Got the pic on my other computer....I'll send it shortly.

I just bought new manifolds a

I just bought new manifolds and risers for my '59 283 flagship engine and installed them today .Now i need to know how to adapt my 3 1/2" manifold flange to my 2 1/2" exhaust pipe . If it doesn't get to hot I'm thinking flex hose and pvc reducer.Any input to this idea would be appreciated

Best stay with certified Mari

Best stay with certified Marine Exhaust Hoses. They do get hot and contain gas and oil fumes that may ruin other hoses sooner. Try a good marine supply store for adapters or possibly have a pair fabed up at a stainless stel fab shop. It isnt cheap but you dont want water leaking in. Kim

Anybody know where I can get

Anybody know where I can get an Osco ff618 exhaust manifold? It fits a Ford 200 straight 6 gas engine. Osco no longer make it.

Back