Logo

Swapping to a chevy 350tbi

jeffy76252

"Hey guys, new here and man ha

"Hey guys, new here and man have i just bought the mother of all projects. Have a 87 chris craft with a 350 mercruiser, and alfa1 i believe, engines screwd and i have a new 87 model chevy tbi in my garage. was wondering if any of you could point me in right direction. with what will convert and what wont. not sure about the water pump system and Flywheel. any tips will be greatly appreciated. Btw. got my boat really cheap. so not afraid to spend a little."

"Depending on the Vintages of

"Depending on the Vintages of the motors,......

The Basic Long Block assemblies are the Same,+ Will swap........

All the Electrical, Fuel,+ Induction from the TBI motor,...
Won't Work in your boat........"

"everything WILL work as long

"everything WILL work as long as you have the fuel pump and the wiring harness and ecm for the TBI motor. The TBI doesn't care what it's in, all you need is the 12v from the boat to power it up. Been there,done that..."

"Mike,....
How do you go abou

"Mike,....
How do you go about utilizing the O2 sensor,+ whatnot,..??...

I'm interested in learning,..... I've seen nor heard of Any workarounds for it.....

How about a TPI,..??..."

"Hey guys, just one adjustment

"Hey guys, just one adjustment found out boat is a 82 models which is good cause been reading up and 87 is when Chris Craft went to the sh_tter. Also, ive been a gear head, at least everything chevy since i was 16. i can answer most questions about tbi. Have converted my 86 k5 blazer to it."

As far as the electical i know

As far as the electical i know the easiest way is to buy a painless harness. and for the o2 sensor you can buy a imulator through jegs. which tell computer what it wants to see.
What i need to know is about the fly wheel for the boat? will i just use the one that is in it now? exactlly how does it hook up to the lower unit? never pulled a boat motor... Also wondering about the Water pump. is it diff than a regular one. how many ports do the boat pumps have. it is a fresh water cooled.

"Jeff: First thing you need t

"Jeff: First thing you need to do is to get the boat manual for that year. SELOC is decent to work from. Others are available. CD versions allow you to enlarge the view of a page.

You can go to this website to see a blowup of the marine version of the year 1987 350 w/alpha drive. www.mercruiserparts.com/mercruiser_parts.asp

The boat's closed cooling is a plus--the TBI engine waterpump will be protected by the anti-freeze. The marine alternator is different only because it has an enclosure. The flywheel and starter can be swapped from the boat and the power steering should work with little modification of plumbing. You'll need to connect the sea water pump. The TBI will need a flame arrestor which should be easy to get.

The old exhaust manifolds may need to be cleaned of rust and scale with muriatic acid before reinstalling.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to keep the 195 deg. T'stat in the replacement engine since the boat's T'stat runs around 140-170 deg. or so. That may affect the TBI by telling the computer the engine is not warm enough--computer may need to be reprogrammed.

Carefully check the engine coupler for worn splines. If it was neglected (not lubed), it wll need to be replaced if you see rounded splines--not a cheap part. The engine mount bases on the boat need to be solid. If they look a little depressed on top, suspect rot and rebuild them. This condition also throws the engine and O/D alignment off contributing to the wear of the coupler splines.

Carefully check the floor, stringers and transom while the engine is out. They need to be solid--look for rot on the lower half of the transom and stringers; a common problem on old boats. The transom can be replaced from the inside by removing the fiberglass enclosure--more to it than that. Same with the floor and stringers.

If the fuel tank has a side fill/vent and the lines are under the floor, they are probably swollen, possibly seeping fuel into the foam and need replaced. The floatation foam may also be fuel and waterlogged after 20 years. It adds weight and causes mildew and floor and stringer rot. Check them carefully and fix it now while the engine is out. I replaced my tank and put in a rear fill/vent type tank due to those problems.

The job you are tackling is greater than you think. Once you start finding little problems, you begin to uncover a plethora of them.

Everyone on this site will help you with the project; just ask a question. Make sure that anything you do is according to Coast Guard regs. since it is for you and your passengers' safety.

Good luck. Guy"

"Chevy went from the 2 piece R

"Chevy went from the 2 piece Rear Main Seal to the 1 piece Seal in 87,........

That means you'll need a Late Model Flywheel for that motor to Work........
The Flywheel on the Boat's Motor has a Different Bolt Pattern.......

To make this Fix as Painless as Possible,.......
Refer to My 1st post........"

Back