Logo

43 mercruiser v6 coil prob

paulbw

"We have eliminated all fuel s

"We have eliminated all fuel starvation problems now( i think) as it did run at tickover but stalled above tickover, now it will not run at all and the coil is sparking when turned over from a terminal on top, could this be why it will not run? maybe coil needed? dont know, pls help."

"Either the coil or the wire t

"Either the coil or the wire terminations need cleaned up or replaced... maybe a new coil wire (the thick one that runs from the top of the coil to the center of the distributor. Maybe a crack in the top of the coil.
Sounds like there is definately a grounding issure there... and that would definately keep it from running properly. (It's sparking there instead of at the spark plugs.)

BTW, What the hell is 'tickover'?"

"Electricity is Lazy,...... It

"Electricity is Lazy,...... It takes the Easiest path to Ground,........

If your Sparkplugs are Bad,..... It Could Cause sparking at the Coil,....
If the Plug Wires are Bad,...... It Could Cause sparking at the Coil,....
If the Dist. Cap is Bad,...... It Could Cause sparking at the Coil,....
If the Rotor Button is Bad,..... It Could Cause sparking at the Coil,....
If the Coil Wire is Bad,....... It Could Cause sparking at the Coil,....
If the Coil has a Cracked Tower,......It Could Cause sparking at the Coil,....

Now that is Has Been Arcing at the Coil Tower,.... It's Probably Carbon Tracked,+ Needs to be Replaced Anyways......

Good Luck..."

"Many thanks to all, the coil

"Many thanks to all, the coil tower was cracked and I have just fitted the new coil and all problems are solved, apologies for "tickover" but it is a term used frequently in britain, but here in oz low idle is the term used also, so many thanks again."

No worries... I had a car owne

No worries... I had a car owner's manual once that directed me to 'remove the bonnet'... took me a while to figure that one out!

Back