Logo

New boat need help with problem

hoseman

Contributing Member
Hello i just purchased a 1988

Hello i just purchased a 1988 sea ray 130 mer and the boat has not been used much for its life and in the past 2 years about 4 to5 times .the problem is this i have water in the oil pan about 1/2 gallon came out very clear then milky after that then took off the oil filter and it was not milky it seemed to be good oil there.i was told that condensation can occur to cause this but that seems like a lot of water in the oil for that .the boat has sat for a while out side in ohio where the weather does change often and the water ports were open any help would be nice . should i refill the oil and run the motor because it was not in the filter which i am confused about please help

"Change the oil and filter, ru

"Change the oil and filter, run the boat, then change it again. I would do this before the check clears. It is unlikely this much water came from condensation. If you are lucky, it came in through an open fill cap or the like. If you are not familiar with boat motors, it is very common for engines to get neglected by owners where they do not winterize them properly, if at all. The water in the engine can freeze and cause cracks in the engine block and manifolds. When this ice melts, it leaks into the crankcase. If this is the case, he engine is ruined and must be replaced. Good luck

Rick"

"Ty Rick, does the fact that t

"Ty Rick, does the fact that the oil was not in the oil filter mean anything ? I assume that the motor then has not been ran with the water so does that tend to lean towards a crack ? The other question is can you take a guess at the repair cost ( a guess )"

"The filter is the reason I ho

"The filter is the reason I hold out hope that the motor is not damaged. You will know for sure after you flush it and run it for a while. If I would venture a guess, without doing any research, I would guess $3,000.00 to $3,500.00 for a remanufactured longblock professionally installed."

"If I run the boat and water d

"If I run the boat and water does appear in the oil where should I start looking for problems ? The head just by looking in the filler hole look very clean no signs of water has been in it,but now that i think about it the motor was very sweaty for several days in my garage. ty for your help and anyone else would be great."

"[quote]If I run the boat and

"
If I run the boat and water does appear in the oil where should I start looking for problems ?

The Most Common spot for that Block to have Freeze Damage,......
(Ayuh,.. That's what I think your Problem Is)
Is on the Inside of the Block, on the Portside, right Behind the Block drain.......

If,+ When you Pull the motor,... Flip it Upside-down, remove the Oil Pan,....
And, I believe you'll be looking at a Crack running along the side of the Block.........

Btw,.......
I Sure Hope I'm Wrong......"

Back