Logo

Mercruiser 165 engine

skelly1

"I have a little bit of an iss

"I have a little bit of an issue. I had a used 165 rebuilt and I just started putting it together. The front of the engine, as it turns out is different than the original engine. On the front left, if you are looking at it is missing a place to install the two bolts from the engine mount. Is there a fix for this? I'd hate to have to fabricate something up."

"Sounds like a different block

"Sounds like a different block, answer is to fab something up."

"Ayuh,......

It Sounds like

"Ayuh,......

It Sounds like you've got a Car Block,......

The Marine Blocks,+ Most of the Truck Blocks have the necessary Holes in them.......

It Sounds like You're going to have to Build a New way to Mount your Motor........."

"Hi Steve Kelly
Bondo is righ

"Hi Steve Kelly
Bondo is right. Car Block?
Lets address the first problem? Fwd mount.
Some 250 car blocks might have a Cast Nipple but not drilled and threaded. If you have the Cast nipples? Its just a matter of drilling and tapping the holes. I would let a machine shop do it for you.
You may have other problems down the road with that engine. You say it was rebuilt?
Marine Rebuild or Car Rebuild?
Marine has different parts. Like CAM,Gaskets,Stainless steel valves ect.
If you have a Car CAM installed? You might run into this problem. The timing of a Car CAM is NOT the same as a Marine CAM. If the Car CAM has the exhaust valve open too long. Water MIGHT go into the cylinder and BAM hydralic lock.
This is one reason to use a Marine CAM.
Food For thought? Im no expert,I learn things every day. And im in the process of rebuilding my own GM 250 Inline 6 for my boat. So I know a little on this subject."

"It does not have the cast nip

"It does not have the cast nipple on it. It is a car block and was rebuilt to marine clearances, marine cam, gaskets, etc. I have figured out a clean way of fabricating a mount for the front mount to bolt to. Thanks for the advice gents."

Back