Logo

1989 glastron sierra w 140alpha I drive cooling exhaust questions

moe01

"newbie owner, got boat after

"newbie owner, got boat after season was over, I want to make things right for this coming season.

looking for input/ideas/help

1: water intake hose, when drive is all the way down, it has a pretty good kink in it. Should I worry? is there a remedy, short of pulling complete drive off?
( it was run last year like this)

2: exhast "bellows" looks good, no apparent rips or tears, and it is secure on both ends.
Now, when we ran it on muffs, it seemed that the exhaust was coming out not only thru the prop, BUT some was also coming out directly from the bottom of the transom plate? is this right?

We don't want to have any problems in-season, want to correct problems now.

Appreciate thoughts/help/ideas. thanks Stu"

"First, the exhaust/water comi

"First, the exhaust/water coming out of the transom plate is normal... those holes (one on each side) are the idle ports.
Regarding the raw water supply tube, lower/extend the outdrive and take a look at it in that position. If it still looks bulged or weakened from the numerous flexing cycles, change it.
As a side note, you can significanty prolong the life of the boots and hose if you store the boat with the outdrive in the fully extended(down or out) position. Just don't forget to raise it to the trailer position before you take off for the boat ramp!
BTW, you don't want to be running the engine on the rabbit ears with the drive in the trailer position, for exactly this reason."

"That's just it,when in th

"That's just it,when in the trailer position, there is NO kink in the hose.
it's when the drive is down,-running postion that's very noticible. ??? thoughts and comments. thanks Stu"

"the hose you are referring to

"the hose you are referring to has natural curl to it like it were spooled in a box... this said when your's were installed the curl was free in the trailer position, if it isn't too late and the hose is fairly new you could possibly take it lose and turn it to where it needs to be. if not and it's been on it awhile then the kink would be already a memory to the hose and you should get a new piece and install it correctly, hope this helps"

just to add on the water intak

just to add on the water intake hose every one i have installed is perfectly straight. when drive is down and hose is kinked hose is most likely to long it must be exact lenght to work properly

"[quote]That's just it,whe

"
That's just it,when in the trailer position, there is NO kink in the hose.
it's when the drive is down,-running postion that's very noticible. ??? thoughts and comments. thanks Stu

Does the engine OverHeat,..??.....

If Not,.....
Leave it Alone,... It's working Just Fine......"

Back