Logo

2002 johnson 90hp hard starting

jack

" i have a 2002 90 hp johnson

" i have a 2002 90 hp johnson that is a bear to start when cold. but once it is warm it starts right up. i pump the fuel bowl till firm like the book says when it is cold, when i am in the lake and the motor is warm i don't pump the ball and it starts easily. could i be flooding the motor when i pump the ball. thank you. "

"Jack.... Pumping the fuel pri

"Jack.... Pumping the fuel primer bulb fills the fuel pump/vro, fuel lines, and carburetors. However, when the engine is cold, you must also push the key in which engages the fuel priming action when attempting to start the engine (look upon it as a choke).

You haven't said anything about doing that. If you simply crank the engine without applying a little throttle and choking it (engaging the fuel primer solenoid) , you could consider yourself lucky if it ever started.

Get back to us on this problem.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

" Jack To cold start that engi

" Jack To cold start that engine;step1,lower motor completly down into water.Step2;squeeze primer bulb until firm.step3;do NOT apply ANY throttle [engine is equipped with "QUICKSTART"]turn key to "on" push key in and hold in, turn key to "start" while holding key in and start motor.After motor starts you may need to push key in if motor tries to stall, but just 'bump' it in.Happy boating. "

"Jack..... I received your e-m

"Jack..... I received your e-mail. Remove the engine cowl (Hood). With the key on, press it in to see if you hear the primer solenoid click. Since the engine starts fine when it's warm, it's possible that the primer solenoid (choke) isn't engaging for some reason which would make for extremely hard cold starting.

You could remove one of the primer hoses momentarily to see if fuel shoots out from it when you push the key in (have pressure on the fuel bulb).

I'm aware of the quick start feature, but applying a slight amount of throttle is simply a work around should that feature be faulty.

Joe
"

When I got my new Johnson 30h

When I got my new Johnson 30hp in 2000 the same happened to me.
The reason for the bad cold starting was a plug cable with bad electrical contact.
You should check this.
Now my engine will start always immediately when doing this for start preparation:
1.) Pumping two times with choke
2.) Giving a little throttle (very important)

When I got my new Johnson 30h

When I got my new Johnson 30hp in 2000 the same happened to me.
The reason for the bad cold starting was a plug cable with bad electrical contact.
You should check this.
Now my engine will start always immediately when doing this for start preparation:
1.) Pumping two times with choke
2.) Giving a little throttle (very important)

Back