Logo

93 king cobra 58 easier to change to volvo or mercruiser outdrive

D

Dan Snyder

"I have a '93 4 winns 245

"I have a '93 4 winns 245 vista with a 5.8 ford King Cobra I/O. I'm getting tired of the parts guy telling me there are no parts available every time I want to work on it. I would like to change the outdrive to either volvo penta or mercruiser but keep the 5.8 ford. My question is which would be the easiest/best to do and how do I figure out the outdrive and ratio I would need to find for my boat?
I see transom adapters available, is that a safe and reliable alternative to having the transom re-glassed? The boat is used for diving and gets pretty heavy when loaded with dive gear for a weekend, maybe 8,000lb or so. It is about 6,000lb dry. Thanks for any suggestions."

"I'm not sure, the sn on t

"I'm not sure, the sn on the motor is 584 DPP JVB. How can I tell? I'm pulling the outdrive this week to grease everything and check the U-joints. Is there something I can look for then to determine which style it is?"

"According to Your mod number,

"According to Your mod number, You seem to have the big cone clutch drive, and I understand Your problem.
In that case I would go for the newer SX drive Volvo-OMC. But totally what it may involve to change I'm not quite sure.
I would even looked into the possibility of putting on a duo-prop system. With the loads and variations You are talking about they are quite good."

Do you have any suggestion wha

Do you have any suggestion what to look for in a drive? Years and models? What range of ratio would work? Do all the small block V-8's use the same ratio regardles of the weight of the boat? I did want a duo-prop but want to get more info before jumping in and buying one.
Thanks

"The gear ratios are the same

"The gear ratios are the same on the standard packages for Volvo and Mercruiser when it comes to small blocks. Mercruiser has some options for 'heavier drives, but I suggest You contact Your local dealers. Remember it may not only be a question of purchase price for a unit, but find a dealer You feel comfortable with and gives service!!!! Then let it be Volvo or Mercruiser."

"I'm not Sure about a Volv

"I'm not Sure about a Volvo Swap,.......
But,....
You can Forget about Mercruiser.......
Mercruiser Hasn't used the Ford powerplants for nearly 30 Years now,........
And,.... There's No Way to install a Ford in front of a Late Model Mercruiser,......."

Back