Logo

99 seizes after sitting one week

trisailor

"My 4.5 year old 9.9 with less

"My 4.5 year old 9.9 with less than 75 hours will seize up after sitting several days. It will not turn over by pull-rope nor by starter motor. After several minutes of pulling and tugging, it will mostly break free, but still turns over reluctantly. With considerable difficulty, I can get it started. Then it will run beautifully as long as needed. After sitting tipped-up all day while I sail, I drop it back and it starts and runs beautifully. The next weekend the problem starts all over again. The local certified Honda mechanic did a major ($1,700) rebuild with no improvement.
I am getting ready to switch to a Yamaha.
Peter"

""The local certified Hond

""The local certified Honda mechanic did a major ($1,700) rebuild with no improvement."

A complete rebuild with less than 75hours? For $1,700? You could have bought a brand new complete engine with 3 year warranty for $2,500. Sounds like you were taken...

If you paid $1,700 for a rebuild on a 9.9 and it still has a problem like this, you should take it back to your mechanic for a free fix.

In regards to your problem, my guess is that it has a blown head gasket, orcracked block - sounds like water is getting into the cylinders and causing the rings to stick. One thing's for sure, this is not normal for a Honda."

"You need to remove the sparkp

"You need to remove the sparkplugs when it does this.If the cylinder has filled with oil it is not being stored properly. Have you checked the lower unit for water and the bearings in it jamming up???. And yes, find another dealer!!!"

I also considered compression

I also considered compression lock. I removed both spark plugs and found empty cylinders and no release of the seized condition.
The mechanic removed the lower unit. I do not know what he found there.
Peter

Back