Logo

1992 Force 50 HP control adjustment trouble

nascarwiz2002

I recently purchased this mot

I recently purchased this motor and have installed it on my boat and and I am having trouble getting it to go into all three gears. I either get reverse and neutral and not forward or I get forward and not neutral.Is there a trick to this adjustment or a certain dimension to set everything to? I really need some help!
any help is greatly appreciated.

"nascar,

Remove the control

"nascar,

Remove the control cable and shift the linkage by hand. Does it shift properly when you do this?

Sometimes the vertical shaft which operates the throttle and timing advance, and the shift mechanism at the bottom of that shaft are interfering with each other. There is small arm on the vertical shaft which is supposed to prevent you from raising the throttle beyond a certain point when the gearcase is in neutral. It can cause trouble if it is not adjusted properly.

Are you using a Force control box or an after market, generic type?

"

" Thanks Tony,
I found the pr

" Thanks Tony,
I found the problem.The bracket that holds the shift cable was in the downward position when I put the cable on. When I tried to put it into gear it was hitting the throttle bracket which wasn't allowing it to shift into gear.I had to swing that bracket upwards and reinstall the cable and adjust the linkage accordingly, BUT I had to adjust the bracket that cables are connected to and when I tightened the 1/2" stud it broke and now I have to figure out how to replace that! Any help on this one?
Thanks again
Nascawiz "

" Nascar,

I guess you are t

" Nascar,

I guess you are talking about the bracket at the rear, on the block, on the starboard side, where the end of the cable locks on to a tiny ball.

You will have to drill out the part of the stud that is in the block, and install a heli-coil of the proper thread size. You can obtain these at most automotive stores.

When you drill out the fastening, start with a 1/8 inch bit, and increase the size by 1/16 inch until you get the diameter that you need. The heli-coil kit will contain a bit that is the proper size for the final drilling.

Tony "

" Tony,
The bracket I&#39

" Tony,
The bracket I'm talking about is located appx.in the middle on the right side(looking from the rear of the boat).It is the one that the moves when you put the motor into drive, neutral etc.The bolt looks like it is a stud behind a removable plate that the neutral sensor is attached to.Sorry I don't know what it is called outboard illiterate.The bolt or stud looks like if I remove the plate that is attached to the block the stud could be removed through the back?
I think this is a different bracket than you are talking about not sure.
Thanks again,
nascarwiz "

" Nascar,

If you are talkin

" Nascar,

If you are talking about the stud that the shift arm pivots on, you will have to replace the cover. The stud is part of the cover.

You need part number FA433471, "Cover cylinder drain with fitting".

You may have to replace the gasket under the cover also. That would be number F93472-1.

There is another plate and gasket under the cover. If you are careful you won't have to replace the second gasket.

Tony "

" Tony,
Thanks for all you

" Tony,
Thanks for all your help!! The part is on order should be in next week. Thanks again you were a great help!

Nascarwiz "

" Tony,
I put the part on

" Tony,
I put the part on tonight and everything looks good! one thing I did notice on the motor is when I fire it up water isn't coming out from the pee holes or exhaust with or without using the throttle.Before I started adjusting the controls I did have a some water coming out of the two small exhaust holes but now nothing. Is this normal? or is it possible something is blocking the cooling portion of the motor? I would appreciate any input on this problem if you can.By the way my motor I guess is a 1989 and not a 1992 like I was informed by the seller.
Thanks again ,
Pete (nascarwiz2002) "

Back