Logo

I cant find what year or hp my motor is

M

mike mcdonald

i recently bought a boat with

i recently bought a boat with an evinrude motor.i was told that it was a 125 hp. it is a 4cyl with two two barrel carbs......my problem is that when i give it gas it doesent want to go....someone told me that the highspeed jets were clogged....i took the carbs off and cleaned them to find out that it is doing the same thing..any info would be helpful...im missing wonderful fishing weather...

"Mike.... The model number pla

"Mike.... The model number plate should be on the port (left) transom bracket (the bracket that bolts to the boat). There is also a core plug (looks like a small quarter sized freeze out plug) on top of the block near the port (left) cylinder head gasket. That model number will allow us to define the year & hp of your engine.

When you cleaned the carburetors, did you actually clean the fixed brass high speed jets that are located on each side of the carbs near the center portion of the float chambers (2 in each carb)? Those jets must absolutely be perfectly clean.

Also, look at the timer base under the flywheel. As you increase the throttle, that timer base moves toward the full spark advance screw (the screw with the black rubber bumper. If the timer base sticks, the engine will run at a retarded spark..... the result is no power.

If your engine is indeed a 125hp Evinrude/Johnson, it would be either a 1971 or a 1972 model but get the model number to us if you can.

Does the engine die out when the throttle is applied or does it simply have no power? Check the compression and spark, then let us know what you find. The compression should be approximately 100+ psi and even on all cylinders. The spark should (with the s/plugs removed) jump a 1/4" gap on that 125hp with a strong blue flame on all cylinders. Let us know what you find.

Joe
"

Joe .....thanks for helping m

Joe .....thanks for helping me out..the model# is 125283r ..also i m pretty sure that i got those jets cleaned..but there is a steady drip of fuel comming from one of the carbs i cant seem to locate it.could that possibally be my prob...maybe it is also sucking air...again thanxs for the help this is the first big boat that i have owned...im used to john boats and trolling motors...

joe ...also the motor will so

joe ...also the motor will sometimes die when the throttle is applied.but when the throttle is applied it simply has no power.....mike

"Mike.... You've got a 197

"Mike.... You've got a 1972 125hp Evinrude. Do the checks/tests as I outlined above and get back to us with what you find.

Joe
"

JOE.......WORKS LIKE A CHAMP.

JOE.......WORKS LIKE A CHAMP...THANXS MAN
I WISH I COULD DO SOMETHING TO PAY YA BACK.

Mike..... Just tell us what yo

Mike..... Just tell us what you found and what you did to correct the problem.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)

joe .......it was the timer b

joe .......it was the timer base was sticking.....i aslo found two plugs that were badly fouled.....simple solution.....but hey im not a mechanic so i dont feel really stupid ...i dont want to bug you to death but but i have a evinrude slectric (push button) forward neutral and reverse.....the reverse is not working. can i still get parts for this thing....if so are they expensive...someone told me that it is a bad solinoid is that possible...again i dont want to bug you to death.......again thanx

"Mike.... It's possible th

"Mike.... It's possible that you're simply using the wrong kind of lower unit lube. That lower unit is a "Hydro Electric" shift setup. The gearlube must be what is called (OMC) "Premium Blend", also called "Type C". Possibly other manufactuers have this lube but I have no knowledge of that... others here may jump in and update that list.

However.... you cannot use the regular gearlube that is used in the manual shift units. This is called "HiVis" (80/90w) and it will not work in your lower unit.

The function of the Hydro Electric shift system follows:

(Hydro Electric Shift)

The shifting setup of the lower unit is what's called a "Hydro Electric Shift", which is quite complex consisting of voltage being applied to solenoids in the lower unit which in turn change oil passages via a oil pump that supplies various pressure on a spring loaded shifter dog. The wires leading to the lower unit (at the powerhead) are "Green" and "Blue". The engine must be running or cranking over in order to shift out of forward gear.

You CAN NOT use HI VIS lube in that lower unit. You MUST USE what OMC calls "Preminum Blend" lube, commonly called "Type C". (A thinner lube)

In neutral, you need 12v to the "Green" wire.
In reverse, you need 12v to both wires, the "Green" one and the "Blue" one.
In forward, there should be no voltage to either wire. (The spring loaded shifter dog forces the unit into forward gear)

To check the lower unit for proper shifting to make sure you have no trouble there, remove the spark plugs to avoid problems and to allow a higher cranking speed.

This next step eliminates the actual shift switch in case problems may exist there.... Disconnect the blue & green wires at the knife connectors (the rubber insulated boots) leading to the lower unit at the powerhead, then using jumpers, take voltage direct from the starter solenoid to apply voltage to the "Green" wire for neutral, then both wires 'Green" & "Blue" for reverse (Remember the engine must be cranking over in order to shift).

With no voltage applied, the unit should be in forward. No need for a ground jumper... the lower unit's already grounded. You may crank the engine with the key switch or by energizing the starter solenoid with a jumper wire.

Joe
"

joe ....if indeed it is the l

joe ....if indeed it is the lube will it just not let me shift into reverse.....i have forward and neutral....mike

I have purchased a Mariner 2M

I have purchased a Mariner 2M outboard that is in excellent condition but trying to find out what year it is. The serial # is 6A1 066977. Would like to get a owners manuel on it. Any ideas.

I have a 115 hp evinrude Mod

I have a 115 hp evinrude Mod #115899c Sn #J0002919 how do I determine the year?frank

"Mike.... I answered that last

"Mike.... I answered that last question via e-mail.

Larry.... I have no knowledge of the Mariner engines.

Frank.... The "8" after the hp indicator of "115" in that model number indicates your engine is a 1978 115hp Evinrude.

Larry/Frank
In the future, go to the previous page where all of the topics are, then go to the extreme bottom of that page. There you will see a large button whereas you can enter your questions under your own topic(s). This will bring you more answerers to your questions as everyone will see them. As you have entered your question(s) here, they are under Mike McDonalds topic (pretty well buried). I just happened to come across them while searching for something else.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

I have a Montgomery Ward Sea

I have a Montgomery Ward Sea King 15 HP outboard that came with the boat I bought. I'm trying to figure out what year it is so I can buy a manual for it. The Model # is VWB 52119B and the serial # is 18X 23738. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

MR

stupid question ......how do

stupid question ......how do i change my gear oil in my 125 evinrude....is there a drain plug(which i THINK i found but how do i add the oil????

Back