Logo

50 force motor

S

scott evanoff

" my motor is dying when i put

" my motor is dying when i put it in drive I've had the jets cleaned,check the spark, check the compresion it was all good,I've changed spark plugs, but it will start and run in idle ok it will sit there run fine then the motor will bogg down,kind of chirp like it wants to back fire or die. then goes back to a regular idle. i found out if i pull the out shifter to the netural and riv the motor a little then but push the handle back in sometimes it will let me go after it sputter& kicks what else can i do without trying to pay a arm in a leg for costly mec. bill ..... "

"Scott,

Does the spark jump

"Scott,

Does the spark jump a gap of about 7/16 inch? Do you notice any difference in the appearance of the spark plugs after running for a while?

Also, with the plugs in place, turn the flywheel clockwise by hand, and see if you can detect any rough spots, or a difference in the resistance of the pistons. I have rebuilt quite a few of these engines. They can read good compression, yet be in need of piston rings. Last year I rebuilt one that actually needed to be rebored for oversized pistons, yet the compression test seemed good. But, when I tried to turn the flywheel by hand, I could not feel any compression in one cylinder.

If this test seems okay, try putting the engine in gear, and turning the flywheel again by hand. If there is anything binding in the lower unit you should feel it this way.

Tony"

" Hi Tony
thank you for your

" Hi Tony
thank you for your fast reply,this really helps me out being im a first time buyer. the answer for your first question when i change the spark plugs the old ones were nkg b7hs they were black with corroded on them. so i change them to a champion marina spark plug they were different from the old ones. they looked the same exept the bottoms did not have the little metal peice that you gap. also on the old ones the have the little metal peice surrounded by a white materal with a gap around the white thing. but the new ones have the metal and the same white thing around it but doesnot have the gap. and no gap peice.... does this sound like a good plug ?????????? or should i go back to the old style!!!!!!!!!! as fare as the other i'll try it i did call the mech that work on it last time he said it sounds like the idle needs to be bosted up... can this be true?? the last time i brought it in it would not idle but it would run in full throttle i had to choke it to start it then hurry and throw it into drive real fast at full throttle it would run great at full, but as soon as i let it off it died..so he took it cleaned the jet found out it didnot have a screen in the side of the motor and put one in now it it idles but does not goes into full throttle but as i said this is my first one thanks again for all your help!!!!!!!!! i love to ask question to someone who will give me a strait answer with out having a secret agendia of making money.. because of my down fall of being a first time buyer.... "

" Scott,

The champion plug

" Scott,

The champion plug that you have now is probably the one that the manufacturer calls for, but either plug should work.
Tony "

IF YOU COULD PLEASE TELL ME T

IF YOU COULD PLEASE TELL ME THE REMEDY FOR YOUR PROBLEM I HAVE AN 86 FORCE 50 WITH THE SAME PROB. IDLES GREAT PUT IT IN GEAR DIES???? GO FIGURE
THANKS

Back