Logo

454 Crusader XL starter safety switch problem

J

JC Hanner

" help needed. I have needed

" help needed. I have needed to fiddle with the gear shift lever lately in order to start. this morning it will not turn over. I can jump the solinoid and turn the engine but not with the switch with the shifter in any posistion. I hear a buzz around the front top of the engine when switch ingaged, but cant locate it. "

" JC

The switch is not in t

" JC

The switch is not in the front of the engine. The buzz you hear is the electronic fuel pump. The switch is on the transmission. If you look directly above your coupler on the transmission you will see a switch with two wires connected to it with phillips head screws. This is the neutral switch. The other plug-on connector switch is the temp switch. The neutral switch is not adjustable. Any adjustment is made with the shift cable. If you disconnect the cable from the shift lever on the transmission, then place the transmission lever in neutral (You will feel the detent engaging) then make hure your helm lever is in neutral. When you have verified that both of these levers are in neutral, adjust the connector on the socket on the cable to align with the ball on the trans lever. Reconnect the coupler and test it. You will also want to look at all of the linkage and brackets to insure that everything is tight and not moving. Good luck. "

"I have the same problem, all

"I have the same problem, all of a sudden the starbord enging will not even turn over. Undid the shifter cable and made sure the shift lever was in nuteral detent. Is there a way to jump or bypass the neutral switch, how do I check to see if it is bad?"

Back