Logo

Clouds of black smoke amp soot Volvo AD41B

larrygaddis

I've been troubleshooting

I've been troubleshooting this problem for months. I have tons of black smoke at speeds between 2000 & 3000 RPM and under acceleration. Much less smoke above and below these speeds. Turbo boost pressure is OK. Question: Is it possible to have an exhaust restriction in the exhaust manifold causing this problem and still get a normal turbo boost pressure reading (15 PSI at max acceleration under load)? I don't know where to look next. Thanks for any help or advise.

" Larry,
I can't help you

" Larry,
I can't help you, but if you do figure it out, please let Volvo know. They are pulling their hair out. If you ask them for an answer, they'll suggest you install underwater exhaust. (I carry Band-Aids on my boat too) "

" Karl,
My tachs aren't

" Karl,
My tachs aren't reliable anymore, but judging from the top speed and my previous RPM readings, it appears to me that I'm still getting almost 3900 RPM wide open. And at that speed, it doesn't smoke. I suppose this rules out the exhaust restriction.
So, to me, everything points to the injection pump and/or the smoke limiter. I had that rebuilt already, but I can't think of anything else it could be. The injector timing (1.80) is dead on.

Larry "

Back