Logo

1993 Maxum Want to repower from V6 to V8

paul

" I have a 1993 Maxum 1900SBR.

" I have a 1993 Maxum 1900SBR. It has a 4.3LX and I would like to repower to a 5.7. Can anyone tell me if this is going to be more trouble than its worth? How hard a swap would it be? Will my Alpha One drive handle the extra power? If I bought a crate motor (ZZ4) from chevrolet, would that engine fit and work? Thanks for any help or suggestions you could give me! "

" Paul

I did it! and love i

" Paul

I did it! and love it, BUT I had a lot of trouble with starters not fitting until I bought gear reduction starters used by racers that have a flat machined mounting/face plate, not the cast type housing. Also the 11 tooth starter is the one that worked on mine, because I have the 153 tooth flywheel. I strongly suggest you fit the starter and mic the teeth before putting it in the boat.
Not an ad, but I buy mine from Summitracing.com "

" Paul, It won't be cheap

" Paul, It won't be cheap, but if you like the boat but aren't happy with the performance, this will make you love your boat again. Some things to consider: Gear ratio difference. 4.3 is 1.65:1 whereas 5.7 is 1.50:1. You can survive without changing the gears, but it may mean running a larger pitch SS prop in the 25" range. If you ski a lot you may not be happy with the low end torque and may wish to have the right ratio gear set installed in your upper drive. Your Alpha drive will take the abuse of the new powerplant.

You may also want to consider a "Drop-In" motor. This will avoid issues like the starter problem Paul had, as well as providing all of the needed items you would have to purchase seperately if you were to buy a GM assembly. Items such as ignition system, manifolds, fuel delivery system and engine harnesses can get expensive and mismatching parts can create unforseen problems down the road. If you decide to make the swap. Don't be cheap!! Do it right!! Good luck. "

" Goood advice, I agree with R

" Goood advice, I agree with Rick, if I had it to do over I would go with a "Drop in" motor and not piece it like I did! "

good luck with zz4.chevy will

good luck with zz4.chevy will not honor warranty if you wet exhaust this engine. too much valve overlap gets lots of water in your oil. a buddy of mine pulled it off but it took much hair pulling and money and more money.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will buy a "drop in" motor. Anybody know of a good place to purchase one complete? Also... Can I expect a noticable increase in performance... We do ski a lot and usually with a full boat of people.. I'm looking for something that will get people out of the water a little quicker than that 4.3!

Back