Logo

HOW DIFFICUILT CAN IT BE FOR I TO REBUILT MY CARBS

edward

" I HAVE A 125 FORCE O/B. NOT

" I HAVE A 125 FORCE O/B. NOT RUNNING WELL AT BOTTOM END. WILL RUN UP TO 2500 HUNDRED RPM AND STAY THERE FOR FOUR MINUTES OR SO AND THEN IT WILL KICK INTO A HIGH RPM ALL THE WAY TO 3800 RPM. I ALREADY PUT NEW PLUGS AND IT STILL DOES THE SAME. COULD IT BE SOMETHING ELSE OTHER THAN MY CARBS? I WANT TO TAKE THEM OFF (2) AND DIP THEM IN CARB CLEANER, THEN BLOW THEM OUT WITH MY AIR HOSE.IS THERE ANY THING SPECIAL I SHOULD DO BEFORE I DO SOMETHING WRONG? I WAS TOLD THE REEDS COULD BE BAD INSIDE THE ENGINE. HOW CAN I TELL IF THE REEDS ARE BAD? I DID NOT KNOW IT HAD REEDS INSIDE...(i guess they look like spark metal plug feelers)SHOULD MY 125 HP BE GETTING MORE THAN 3800 RPM? IT IS A 1986 FORCE O/B 4 CYL. 2 CARBS. BOAT SHOP WANTS $300. TO REBUILT THEM. HELP....HELP????
THANK YOU BOARD.....ED "

" Ed,

You should turn much

" Ed,

You should turn much more than 3800rpms; at least 5000 at full throttle would be acceptable.

It never hurts to pull the carbs and take a look inside just to be on the safe side. I'm sure you could do this yourself without any special tools. I would advise you to obtain carb rebuild kits before you take them apart so that you can do the job properly. If they need work, dipping them in carb cleaner and blowing them out will not suffice. You have to take the jets out and clean everything. I can give you specific instructions if you need them. Let me know.

While the carbs are off you will be able to get a look at the reed valves, which should not be bent or broken. You can squirt some WD-40 into the intake while turning the flywheel clockwise by hand and note if the reeds are working properly.

I would advise you to make sure you are getting good spark; the spark should be able to arc over a gap of 7/16 in.

I don't know what the history of this engine is, but I can tell you that the ignition systems are tricky on Force engines. If the stator, power packs, and coils are not wired properly the ignition timing can be way off. Because of the difference in the color coding of factory installed components and replacement parts, it can be difficult to determine exactly how things should be wired.

When I am in doubt about the ignition of these engines, I mark the flywheel with a line of reflective paint for top center of each piston. Then I hook up a timing light to each plug wire, one at a time, and see if the spark is timed properly as I crank the engine.

tony "

Back