Logo

Volvo 2002 Info

W

Wilf

" I have just purchased a boat

" I have just purchased a boat with a '91 2002 engine. I can't seem to find information on this engine anywhere. Did Volvo only release this engine for a very short time? Did it have problems and that is why it's discontinued? It seems to run ok for the short time I've owned it, but it is hard to start cold. Where does someone get a manual? "

" Wilf,

Good little engine

" Wilf,

Good little engine that was manufactured from 1983 to 1994/95. The engine has an "automatic" cold start device. After you shut the engine down set the trottle at 1/2 trottle and pull the stop out and push back in. If you are close to the engine you should hear a "click" coming from the front, port side. The cold start is now engaged for your next start.

Contact your local Volvo Penta dealer for a manual.

Karl "

I have one of these motors an

I have one of these motors and have just removed the head. Well worth doing if you run on salt water. They get blocked with salt and the valves needed a gring any way. Been a great motor other than the water pump and feul lift pump. Note the brass screw in the water pump will corode very quickly. I changed to stainless.

"Russ,

If you have any trou

"Russ,

If you have any trouble getting manuals, I can supply the Workshop and Parts manuals for the model 2001,2002,2003,2003T.

There seem to be a lot of those engine around and most of the parts seem to be available from Volvo.

Regards,
Andrew
"

I have bought a small second

I have bought a small second hand yacht with a 18 hp volvo penta 2002 engine. It was serviced immediately before I bought the boat and for the past 4 to 6 weeks has been running very well. We sail/use the motor about 1 to 2 times per week. Today after starting normally and motoring to the start line for a race I noticed black 'sludge' coming from the exhaust - it was not smoke nor would I describe it as oily (there was no oil slick in the water) and it got worse under load (higher revs and against the current). There was no problem whilst idling on the mooring. Any help would be greatly appreciated

The 18 hp volvo that was disc

The 18 hp volvo that was discharging 'sludge' has been cured ?. I cleaned the props of barnacles and no more black discharge even under load. Given that it was probably unburnt fuel maybe the injectors need servicing?

volvo 2003-does anyone know t

volvo 2003-does anyone know the engine's capacity of coolant in a freshwater coolant system? I have taken about 8 oz. from the engine bilge and am trying to find out how much is left inside (and where the leak is).

" I have a Feeling 326 with a

" I have a Feeling 326 with a vlovo 2002 shaft drive (reconditioned unit fitted in 1999). The engine has been very reliable although it seems to take about 10 minutes after starting before the Revs start to pickup. Once "warm" the engine is fine although the revs at max never exceed 2500 rmp. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also this weekend took the boat out for the first time, oil light came on and I discovered the contents of the sump dumped in the engine well - oil had drained itself completely but no obvios sign from above - the engine had a very slow oil leek a few months before this...

Thanks "

My volvo penta 2002 has been

My volvo penta 2002 has been having some starting problems. Press the start button and nothing! My electrician says that the 'slave' and negatively earthed solenoid/relay needs replacing. I have been told also (not by the electrician)that the engine or the solenoid (?) can be rewired with a positive earth so that this particular negatively earthed solenoid can be got rid of as its only function is apparently to prevent corrosion of the saildrive?. The solenoid costs $AU200. Any comments?

"I have an '84 2002 auxill

"I have an '84 2002 auxillary for my sailboat that was installed when I bought the boat new in '84. I have not put the boat in the water for 2 summers and she has been dry stored. About every 6 months I check in on the boat. Each time I turn the engine four or five time to ensure that it is free. it had been about 5 months since I have been to check in and today I checked on her. When I tried to turn the engine, it would not turn at all. In fact I broke the manual crank in the process. The temperature outside was about 28 degrees. likewise when I "turn" the engine I open the pressure release. I am hoping that the engine in not frozen. Rather perhaps there is some condensation inside the cylinders and this may be the cause. Although this is a saltwater boat the engine is freshwater cooled.
Does anyone know whether an engine can sieze from just remaining idle. And/or what may be an effective proceedure for getting it "unstuck"?"

"Hi Mike, good news is that th

"Hi Mike, good news is that the engine shouldn't be siezed if she is on the hard.

Here's a trick that works for a bunch of guys with Atomic 4 engines. Take a teaspoon of Marvel Mystery Oil, add it to each cylinder. Leave it for a week, come back and try turning it again. It is a weird type of penetrating lubricant that has been around forever - it will get in and unstick rings, valve guides, all kinds of areas that regular oil might have a hard time getting at.

Let us know how it works.

Rob"

"I need someone who knows the

"I need someone who knows the small Volvo Penta diesel inboards, specifically, the 28hp model 2003, to answer a couple of questions, .

The "B" instrumentation option allows for both "alarm" type oil and temp senders as well as analog "gauge" type senders.

I want to add gauges. Where exactly, do these other gauge senders screw in and what is the thread/size spec for them?

D Bond"

"I have a 1999 Four Winns boat

"I have a 1999 Four Winns boat that has a Volvo Penta 5.7 GSi/dp 280-hp engine. I went on the boat the other day for the first time in several months. The boat started right up! I turned the boat off after 10 minutes, when I went to turn it back on I got nothing. The batteries still had enough charge, but when I turned the key...it made almost no noise at all (just a very faint click). Any idea what this can be?"

"If your batteries are good ch

"If your batteries are good check all of the wiring connections and solenoids. Solenoids can still click but not hold the contact hard enough for good continuity. The solenoids can be purchased at most auto parts dealers. Be sure to get the same amps, volts & pin layout."

"Does anyone have the Volvo 20

"Does anyone have the Volvo 2003 Motor Alinement Diagram!
"Motor Mount Spacing Dim's and angle" so I can reset the Wood rails which it will set on!
Thanks
Jon Leyden
[email protected]"

Does anyone know the reason fo

Does anyone know the reason for white smoke coming from the exaust after 1.30 hours at 5 knots. It's a 2002 volvo.(1984)and has just been serviced.

just bought a boat with a volv

just bought a boat with a volvo 2002 . Starts after a lot of turning over . Is there a preheat?
Is there a special sequence to get a quick start after cold say after a week? murphandhack

"I am also an owner of a 2002

"I am also an owner of a 2002 circa 1984. I am having exactly the same trouble. The manual states to pull out the stop lever, then put it back in. Then do the usual start i.e. Set half Throttle, turn key.
Engineer friend of a shipwright friend says full throttle should be used.
I am also in contact with an old and wise friend with many years experience who has heard me try an start the engine who is of the opinion that the various contacts between starter motor, alternator etc need inspecting and cleaning to ensure that (a) enough charge is going into the start process and (b) the batteries are getting enough charge to provide (a) in the first place.
Also a post above in this discussion indicates that the stop lever may need to be pulled out after the throttle has been set. Maybe another contributor can help with this point?
Best Regards
Guy
Worthing, UK"

"Pulling the stop makes You su

"Pulling the stop makes You sure that the governor shaft and pumps are moving freely. Sometimes water in fuel etc may seize pumps. If stop does not move = pumps are seized (or cable stuck!)
Normally start at full throttle, but be quick to reduce.
Check battery discharge condition. The slower cranking speed the longer it takes to make it run."

I have a question about a 2002

I have a question about a 2002 model around 1985 vintage: the panel lights and buzzer don't want to activate. Where do I start looking to solve it? I assume the wiring harness first. Can I simply follow a power wire or is a ground problem more likely. Thanks.

Alarm is fed by red/blue wire

Alarm is fed by red/blue wire + and black ground from ign. switch. All alarm lights go to ground.

"Good Morning:

Need to eith

"Good Morning:

Need to either rebuild or replace my Volvo 2002 diesel engine. I anyone knows of one ready or available for parts, let me know.

Thanks

Moe Giguere
[email protected]"

"Hi,
does somebody have any i

"Hi,
does somebody have any idea of the year of manufacture of a VOLVO PENTA 2002 serial number 2300042627 ? The owner claims it is from 1994.
Many thanks"

Hi Has any one had a problem w

Hi Has any one had a problem with exhaust leek from injecter sleeve 2002 i know washers should not be fitted but that was the only cure. Cyl head is off at presant

"I have a 36' yacht with a

"I have a 36' yacht with a 28hp 2002 volvo penta engine with a saildrive, there is excessive blue smoke from the exhaust motoring at all rev ranges at idle & load. The engine doesn´t burn any oil and the smoke smells more like unburnt diesel. If I run in astern, pulling against the mooring, at approx 2500 rpm, the smoke is still present and there is an oily film on the water´s surface. If I collect the exhaust water in a bucket I get a black film around the inside of the bucket after only a few seconds. I am not sure if it is the injectors, injector pump, the timing or a fuel problem...any help would be appreciated.

Thanks John Hamilton"

"Thanks Richard, I did the air

"Thanks Richard, I did the air cleaner today & will start the engine tomorrow once the diesel has evaporated.....will look into valves & injectors shortly. I may put some conditioner in the fuel tomorrow also.

Thanks again,

John Hamilton"

Re: "Thanks Richard, I did the air

Can anyone share some advice on fuel adjustment for a volvo 2002 - circa 1986 vintage

the previous owner had the head removed and replaced to fix an injector nozell problem - then did not start the boat for a year

When I took over the it appears to be "dumping" fuel - thick black smoke. The only thing I can find obviously wrong is slightly low compression.

From contatacting the previous owner, there was no report of a smoking condition before the repair - leading me to beleive I an chasing some type of fuel adjustment problem.

Is there a possibility that a thincker head gasket was used which now requires adjustment of the fuel system ?

the basic workshop manual provides specs for adjusting valves (which I double checked) but not much else which is helpful.

Could there be something very Volvo specific which someone with "general" engine skills could easily overlook ?

Regards

Back