Logo

More problems Johnson 55 hp model CD12

D

Don Carron

" Just when you think it's

" Just when you think it's safe to go into the water...

I finally found a gasket locally for the base of the powerhead and started to reassemble the leg this morn. Got to the water pump seal installation and here is what I found:

The water pump seal in my seal kit is different to the one in the engine. This is the seal that goes in the lower water pump housing and seals around the drive shaft.

The drive shaft is 1/2" dia. The new seal matches the shaft.

The existing seal has a 5/8" ID and so does the lower housing bore. It looks as if the lower housing is wrong, from a larger engine ??? that has a 5/8" shaft???

AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!

I can't beleive that the water pump would work without a proper seal arond that shaft, as that opens the impellor cavity to the lower housing.

Anyone make any sense of this?

Cheers/Don Carron "

" Not unless the journal and s

" Not unless the journal and seal are extremely worn out. I have a QD-19 10 HP with a .5 inch shaft and I'm pretty sure that the 15's and 18's also have a .5 inch shaft. My old shaft seal appeared to be larger because it was worn out. The bore where the shaft enters the lower gear case should be .5 inch. If there is no excessive radial play with the shaft installed, the lower bushing bore is probably correct in which case you can just replace the seal. "

Back