Logo

Johnson 1989 200GT canbt drop the lower unit

M

Mike Eckert

I'm trying to put a new w

I'm trying to put a new water pump on my 1989 Johnson 200hp. I ran into a small problem. I can't get the lower unit off. I have a gap of an inch or so and can't reach the shift rod to take the lower unit off. It won't go down any farther because of the shift rod. What am I doing wrong? I would appreciate anykind help.

Mike
You have to disconnect

Mike
You have to disconnect the shift rod from the base of the powerhead. There is a 3/8" head bolt that is also slotted under the carbs. You can get to it from the port side of the motor. The lower unit should then drop.

" Mike;obviously you missed th

" Mike;obviously you missed the paragraph in your service manual concerning shift rod disconnecting,the clevis pin is under and just aft of the carbs on the port
side,follow the shift linkage from the shift cable and you should find it.In your case you should remove the lower motor covers. jupiterzeke "​

" mike My name is Juan, I have

" mike My name is Juan, I have the same outboard motor in my boat, Recently I replace a valve to it, I have the same problem take the lower unit out but I solve the problem,
disconnect the shifting bar this is the only connection you will inconter attach in the upper portion of the motor to remove the lower unit, six big screws will be the only thing holding this peace. By the way mike, you do not happen to have some photos of selinoid electrical connection diagram, my stator does not want to start due to wrong wiring, please help me. "

Back