Logo

Impeller replacement 1997 40HP Mariner 4 cycl

E

Ed Dorsch

" I tried to replace the impel

" I tried to replace the impeller in my motor yesterday. The one I bought has straight 'arms', while the one I took off has 'curved' ones. It appears they need to be that way to fit inside the water pump base, yet the diagrams in the service manual do not show it that one.

When putting the new one in, do I have to place it inside the the water pump base ?

I tried it that way, but that way it doesn't seem to go down far enough to catch on the drive shaft notch. I started the motor after reassembly and it didn't pump.

The service manual is very ambiguous on this...how is the impeller placed on the drive shaft and into the water pump base?

Thanks
Ed "

You put the impeller on the s

You put the impeller on the shaft making sure the drive key is in position.Lower the pump housing and rotate the drive shaft in the normal running direction. The vanes will bend into place.All new impellers have straight vanes and BAD ones take a set with age. Replace every two years.

" Ed,
On my Evinrude there&#3

" Ed,
On my Evinrude there's a cup the impeller goes into, and the cup goes into the water pump housing.

I use a large hose clamp and tighten it over the impeller to make it fit in the cup. Tighten it slowly, bending the impeller's wings in the right direction until you've got it about the same diameter as the cup or housing, whatever your Mariner has. then push it into the housing or cup. us a dab of dish soap for lubricant. This works great once you get the hang of it.

verify that you're not putting the impeller in upside down. you may have rubber on one side of the hub of the impeller and not the other. the side without the rubber is the side that must slide over the wedge, or key, to make the impeller lock onto the driveshaft.

Take your time and you'll be ok. "

Back